■ Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained ■

• ■ ● - ● - ● - ● - ● ■ •

"Behold. The wonders of the human realm." With a grand gesture, Gus presents his small collection of human items. 

But all of them have been incorrectly labeled such as the Rubik's Cube being labeled as "weapon?". With a bright smile, Gus picks up the paper clip. 

"This little fella's one of their most valued objects. It aids in the compiling of printed wisdom, the scratching of gunk from under your nails, and my favorite... It even mimics the sounds of the human ocean." Gus flicks it, making a twanging sound and smiles. 

"Aah! The human realm. So beautiful." He walks over to the chalkboard and holds up the paper clip. "It's safe to say that the pay‐per‐clorp is a stunning testament to human ingenuity. Any questions?" 

He turns around to face the rest of the club. Most of them are bored and have already fallen asleep. A boy clothed in brown robes raises his hand with a thoroughly bored expression. 

"Ah! Our newest member: Mattholomule." Gus gestures to him as the said boy slowly stands up. 

"A‐Augustus, is this what the president of the Human Appreciation Society thinks passes as Human Artifacts?" Matttholomule gestures to the items on the table, making Gus confused. He walks over to the desk.

"Because at my old school, we had real treasures." Mattholomule pushes aside Gus' collection. 

Gus quickly went over and grabbed his stuff, shooting Mattholomule a disgruntled look. Mattholomule empties his bag onto the desk, showing off his human artifacts. 

It consists of a rock painted to look like a cellphone, an egg with a skull painted on it and a shoe made out of mud and leaves.

Despite all of it looking entirely fake, the other members of the club gasp in surprise and awe as they lean closer to it. 

"So real."

"Wow!"

"I‐‐ I wanna touch them."

"Go ahead." Mattholomule smirks. "In my club, we didn't have any dumb rules."

In response, Gus gasps and turns to his list of rules pinned to the chalkboard, "Shh. He didn't mean that."

Gus glares at everyone touching Mattholomule's human artifacts. He then takes them away, making them each protest in response. 

"Well, this isn't your club. Thankfully." Gus said, slamming the shoe against the table. It crumbles into pieces as he crosses his arms. 

"Exactly, who thinks I should be president?" Mattholomule suggests, raising his hand up as the others cheered out their approval. 

"I do!"

"Mattholomule for prez!"

"I'm an undecided voter." One simply said, crossing his arms. "I wanna touch all the objects first." 

The club members continue to talk over each other while Gus glances at the phone and picks it up. He weighs it for a bit before suddenly gasping. 

"These are fakes!" He turns to Mattholomule, which makes the others gasp out in shock and Matthomule to stammer in response. 

"You can't prove that!" Mattholomule breathes deeply, hastily recovering his composure. "You're just trying to distract these human appreciators. You're afraid of getting kicked out of office! It's your word versus mine."