Chapter 1 Ripped away (v3)

In life there are very few commons. For the working class those were taxes and death. For someone like Rei these were the facts of life.

Work in and clock out then come back and do it all over again. Not quite an exciting life, but at least she wasn't a wage slave. She got relatively decent pay and was even carving a little slice of heaven for her own life.

Life is tough but Rei wasn't a stranger to that, and sometimes the best thing you can do is just live life one day at a time.

Then along came Death...

That day, it had been a slow day. Rei had been working her 9 to 5 like any other day. Her thoughts occupied about what she was going to do about dinner.

'Maybe after work I might treat myself to something?' She thought. Get some take out or something this one day.

She'd been limiting the kind of stuff she ate because with her wages she usually just got take out and the most common food she could get her hands on. Needless to say, absolutely horrible for her health, and she was out of shape to be blunt. Poor exercise and bad food results in poor health, but lucky she wasn't overweight at all. By some stroke of luck or act of god she actually was born with a very high metabolism so usually food went in and out of her body like air through her lungs. For her its hard to gain weight and lose it. Still she didn't like that she couldn't run for a couple minutes until she was out of breath.

But hey that's life. If she wasn't out of shape she'd probably have been broke and starving by now. After all it's not like she chose to eat this way out of her own volition. She just lacked the time to do anything else since work kept her busy most of the hours.

As she was doing work at her desk suddenly her phone went off . She had made an alarm that goes off at certain times in the day which signals her usual 5 minute break before she goes back on the grind. But in actuality it was not so much of a break but by recommendation of her doctor so stop sitting down so much since it could have long term problems for her already declining health.

Picking up her glasses she shifted them onto her face and got up. 'Let's get some fresh air.' She thought about walking towards the smoking area outside.

Stepping outside the air is not fresher with all the gas fumes from the thousands of vehicles that line the streets. But I guess being outside was nice.

As she was enjoying the carbon dioxide, suddenly her phone rang. Looking at it she sees it was from her brother.

Well he was... a lot to deal with sometimes. He wasn't some stupid drunk dead beat or anything but he was rather um... passionate about some topics.

Typical boy stuff too. Guns, tanks, military stuff, and Rei was usually there to listen to him run wild about it too. He didn't really have friends which was not because of his interests no, it was because he just doesn't meet others.

He's not an introvert per say but he certainly acts like it sometimes, so sadly Rei is usually the only person that he could consider a friend. Which is a bit sad since they are siblings. Even now they keep in contact and have a pretty good relationship.

However, Feng, her brother, wasn't there to ramble on about random shit like he usually did. Instead he was here to ask her how her day was.

"I'm okay." She blankly states.

"That's good to hear sis! I was wondering if you want to go out on a double date?"

"What?" The news came as a sudden surprise to her for sure.

'I don't even have a boyfriend.' She thought to herself. 'Oh no, if he finds out then I'll never hear the end of it!'

"Yeah I've got a girlfriend now so I was wondering if you wanted to meet up. I'm sure you've already met someone important." He is oblivious to her being alone and single.