Chapter 21 The Western Menace

"Come on keep up," The human said looking at the young red skinned elf.

How the hell did I get talked into letting this runt in my force. I watched as the young elf struggled to keep up. I can't believe I was going to have to babysit this asshole while we went to talk with the Orcs.

Though I guess he had to concede that they did need more men after all he just lost most of his guild to the Orc surprise. Not only that but they headed out immediately after the attack while he wasn't complaining it didn't sit right that he couldn't stay behind to see his men buried. I suppose that would just be left up to the civilians.

Sighing, the Captain kept marching with the remaining group of his guild. They had been marching down a dirt road for almost an hour now. Besides the single good road that connected the Humans to their allies in the South the Elves all of the roads were shit. Most were made solely because enough people trampled the grass in one area, others were made from old bricks that had obviously broken down, and some were literally ancient as the roads were built by the Schiricans which had literally been eaten by monsters hundreds of years ago. Still if there was something the Schiricans were famous for even now it was their masonry work shit was built to last centuries, literally.

They probably could have met up with all the tribes in the local area were it not for the rookie here, but besides that they were headed to the Ulock Tribe. Never did remember all the names of the Tribes. There was no point after all Tribes changed family heads almost every generation or two. So instead the Elves in their infinite wisdom had made an interchanging magic map that displayed the names of the family heads, 'course that meant there had been permanently assigned elvish bureaucrats to keep up constantly with the political situation in the Orc's world.

They were headed in the right direction but it would most likely be thirty or so minutes to finally get to the village. In the meantime it seemed that they just had to keep on marching. Settling down the Captain kept his eyes forwards and kept marching just as the Gergulans had taught him.

His quiet march was cut short as a certain elf made himself known. "Umm-"

"Shut up, we're in enemy territory." Smith couldn't help but growl out not bothering to look behind him.

"Oh! Sor-"

"Quiet." Shit calling him green, or red in this case, was a fucking under statement this mother fucker was a god damn militia. Tsk this was gonna be a long day, and I didn't pack any alcohol.

Sighing to myself I continued to march on in disgruntled silence.

As the march continued into the afternoon the sun set on the canopy of the forest. I'd be a lot more worried if it weren't for the fact we had the Flaming General himself with us. Don't think I've ever slept so soundly near the blood forest.

000

The wind blew against my skin in the cold of the night. The night was calm... eerily calm it never was good to lower your guard around this nightmare of a forest.

From high up I swayed my leg back and forth as the branch I sat on gave a slight sway. As I looked around I saw the adventurer party that I had arrived in time to rescue. They slept around the fire, giving light to our camp. Surrounding the camp was a row of wood stakes which would be our only defense against any roaming creature... that and me.

Just as these thoughts left me suddenly I could hear rustling all around my eyes sharpen trying to make out the magic signatures of anything nearby. It was something all blood elves were born with the ability to see magic like no other living being. We could see magic as the flowing of energy in the winds, the culmination of it in the bodies of all users. And yet I saw nothing out in the darkness.