Chapter 12 The World

In the beginning there was dragons.

The species of the world existed in their separated regions for millennia, and all cultures can trace back their first empires to the work of Dragons.

Dragons were a species of flying reptilians that became sentient. Dragons were ultimately seen as the perfect creature for as long as they have existed. Resistant to age and damage, massive, and intelligent.

The dragons ruled over all other species creating societies and cultures between the dragon rulers and their subjects. This marked the start of the Age of Dragons. No one knows how long the age of dragons truly lasted for but it's estimated that it lasted for two thousand years at most.

And for those next two thousand years history would be dominated by family feuds of the individual dragon groups that ruled. Empires would rise and fall serving the dragon rulers in their endeavors to grow their families names.

But eventually the dragons fell into decadence. 

You see the thinking of a dragon and the other sentients, as the Dragons named them, was fundamentally different. A dragon lives for centuries but their subjects only a fraction of a century, because of this fundamental difference in the livelihood of their subjects were always seen by the dragons as energetic.

The dragon rulers would watch as their subjects would go about their lives hurrying from one place to another. And because of this difference there would always remain a fundamental misunderstanding between the rulers and their subjects.

This misunderstanding resulted in some strange ruling methods between Dragons and sentients.

And as said before after a long peaceful rule the dragons grew decadent and slothful, and in their period of calm rebellion occurred. The dragons thought they could easily win against these rebellions but times had changed and dragons were no longer the untouchable beings of myth.

The big difference between the sentients and the dragons over the two thousand years was that there were more sentients during the rebellion than the start of the dragon's rule. When the dragons came to power the sentients still lived as primitive hunter gatherer societies, as such the actual numbers of them were few (potentially in the mere thousands), but over the two thousand years of prosperity the population of the world changed drastically.

The second difference was the sentients learned to use magic. Magic is not fully understood even to this day, but one thing has always been known by it and that is magic is power.

Magic allows one to manipulate the very fabric of reality around them. Create fire, create water, create lighting the use of magic leveled the playing field between the dragon and the sentients.

Dragons used to have a monopoly on it but with time other sentients wielded it.

Simply put the Dragons no matter how powerful they were ultimately were too few to stop the tide of rebellion. If their foe was weaker or fewer they could have won but in their laze and decadence they watched their empires slip out from underneath their claws.

This decline of old rulers and shift of power led to the end of the Age of the Dragons and the Start of the Age of Rebellion. 

It is to be noted that during the Age of Rebellion The Human Domain and The Elvish Empire were formed into one out of desperation.

Though after the rebellion they did peacefully schism away from the other. This was done mainly because of the distance between each nation even when they were 'one' both empires functioned as two separate nations that merely were extremely militarily intertwined.

To this day relations between Humans and Elves are surprisingly cordial ever since the Age of Rebellion.

With this new age brought much change and self governance to most of all sentients, however one race would prove to be dominant during those first chaotic millennia.