Chapter 17 Suspicion

So sorry looks like bi weekly would be a better estimate on chapter releases! Hope you all enjoy the chapter though!

---

Ichika continued to walk forwards as I followed behind her. The court magician hummed to herself behind her hooded robes.

"Just this way Hero! Behind here the religious folk will find out what special power the great one above granted you upon your arrival."

The door opened revealing a circular room with a table in the center. Around the table were religious figures and some dressed in Earth clothing. The room had an elevated point that put the table in the center up on a few steps. As I stepped into the room and walked to the figures I looked around. All around us was a circular elevated area that held seats all around the circle that encompassed the center where I stood.

All the seats were empty making the room seem way more empty than it actually was. I walked over to the table and the religious figures guided me to the table. Sitting down on the table the religious figures around me emanated a bright light.

A bright blue light wrapped around me as I sat, my vision blurred out. I could feel my body moving but it was faint, almost as if I was in a dream. As quickly as the blurring came it started to fade as my vision came back to me.

The people around me seemed very concerned for my well-being. Evidently by the faces they were making, even mirroring whenever I would try to eat food with my Parkinson's ass hands at the family reunions.

"So? What's the verdict?"

Taking a gulp one of the religious figures with the most extravagant looking clothing spoke up. "My Hero, what were your last thoughts?"

"I wished for my sister to be around one last time." I recalled tilting my head. Their reactions didn't seem like the ones I wanted to see...

"Your power, my Hero, is to be able to master any form of combat before you."

His words echoed through my mind...

"But what about my sister?"

"We... we do not know sir." I heard one of them say to my right.

"But what about that whole power being bestowed via last thought?"

"It seems we were wrong sir... You see we thought that was the case but it seems that the way power is bestowed is indeed how each hero lived their life. Not what their last thoughts were, it just so happens that most people die as they live."

"So... my sister-"

"She could be out there but we do not know sir. All we know is that your power isn't related to her if she truly is out there somewhere."

"I see." I said solemnly I guess it was too much to think that of the billions of people on earth me and my sister would be so lucky to be the ones to move onto this world.

"So going off that you must have been a knight or something similar, no? A soldier maybe or perhaps a general of your world?"

Memories I much prefer to be buried and forgotten resurfaced. Shaking off those memories I replied to the religious dude more to shut him up from prying, "Yeah I was a soldier. US Army."

Seemingly excited, the religious figure spoke up. "How splendid! Why we don't know about combat from Earth so it would be a great insight if you-"

"No."

The figure tilted his head before an expression came across his face. "I don't understand. I'm sure that you served your nation with Valore and..."

The words faded out of my mind. I just wanted this conversation to end as quickly as possible. Uncaring of the lip service this dude was giving me, I cut him off before speaking. "Yeah I served but that's all I'm going to say about those times." I said shutting them up. Guess it was my tone but they seemed to get the message that my service wasn't something I was going to elaborate on no matter how much prying they did. With nothing but an awkward silence lingering it seemed that the power reading was finished so I turned and started walking towards the entrance. I passed through the door and saw Ichika leaning against the wall.