Chapter 23 Flesh, Metal, and Magic

Sorry for the small hiatus but I'm back and making chapters probably not regularly but school comes first. However do know that I have the full intent to finish this story no matter how long it takes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rei!" A voice echoed through the walls as it reached my ears slightly muffled.

I jumped up from my bed, the covers flying off my chest. Looking around my head locked with the door.

"Rei! Can you come down here!?"

I pushed my blanket off and got up off the bed making my way to the door. The door handle was higher than my head so I had to reach up for it. As I twisted the handle the door opened and light seeped from the hallway into my room. Rubbing my eyes I made my way down the stairs. I made it down to the bottom of the stairs.

I walked towards the kitchen from the open arch. As soon as I made it around the corner mom turned around and locked eyes with me.

"Oh sorry sweetie were you sleeping?" She asked, tilting her head and closing her eyes in apology.

"It's okay mom! Whadda you need?" I asked, looking around the kitchen. There were still dishes that needed to be cleaned and there were ingredients for things all over the place. Some cupboards were even left open.

"Your father managed to get some fresh fish for cheap."

My face slumped as I realized what she meant. "But mom I hate gutting fishies. I always get blood on my clothes!"

"I know honey but I fell asleep a couple hours ago and didn't realize dinner wasn't even made. Can you help your mother please?"

"Okay... where's the apron?"

"Should be in the pantry still."

I walked up to the pantry door and opened it without difficulty and entered. Noticing the apron instantly on the left side of the wall. I pulled it down from the wall leaving nothing but the nail in the wall it used to hang from left.

It was unfortunately big but I managed to wrap it up enough to use it. Finally getting it into enough folds I awkwardly equipped it and returned to the kitchen. Pulling up a chair I sat on it and mom put a cutting board in front of me and I grabbed some of the fish.

The first couple of fish I grabbed turned out to be my favorite for gutting: Sardines. Sardines were a very easy fish to gut. They are small and you don't need a knife to gut them, and not only that I had tons of practice gutting them before since you always buy them in the dozens.

Turning the first one over I pushed the head up and could see the gill line separate. Sticking my fingers inside I snapped the head and separated the bottom of it from the body. Using my finger like a knife I pulled it downwards disemboweling the fish. I quickly ripped the guts out, getting crimson and black blood over my hands as I tossed the nasty fish guts in a bowl off to the side.

After the gutting I quickly snapped the tail off and tossed it away along with the head since mommy doesn't like to eat fish eyes and also me too. I never liked the fatty little eyes. They were like grapes but tasted too meaty for a sugary fruit.

Setting the fileted sardine on the top of the board I grabbed another one and proceeded to continue gutting for a while. I lost count how many daddy bought but after the twentieth I gave up on counting.

I found myself almost dozing off. I mean I was really tired from my nappy time and I was having a really nice dream. I smiled to myself as I felt my eyelids grow heavier, and my blinks came to a slower movement until I found myself letting my hands run on auto.