Chapter Six

A moon had passed since Breezepaw's death. Silverpaw's feet dragged in the grass, as she wished desperately to go back home. She'd only been allowed to rest in the medicine den for a quarter moon. Sure, her wounds had healed, even the deep scar above her eye wasn't infected. But the pain in her chest was still raw, and throbbed against her fur. 

The patrol was awfully quiet.

Everything seemed to be quiet now.

It seemed that even after a half moon after losing Breezepaw, everyone was still grieving. Even DarkClan hadn't caused any more trouble.

They should be sorry. Silverpaw thought bitterly. If they had just left us alone, Breezepaw would still be alive.

She flexed her claws, the grass shredding beneath her paws. They took her. They yanked her from Silverpaw's grip, and threw her away like she was nothing.

Silverpaw felt fur brush her side, and she looked up. Everyone was staring at her. She felt hot under their gaze. "Wh-what?" Tawnyfeather shared a nervous glance between Foxshade and Houndclaw.

"Silverpaw, we need to have a talk." Tawnyfeather cooed. Silverpaw cringed back. She didn't like it when Tawnyfeather spoke to her like that, and she seemed to be doing it a lot more recently. Crystalpaw looked up from where she was watching a butterfly dance around a flower. Her green eyes were still as bright as ever, but she was quiet. Almost as quiet as Breezepaw once was.

"Can I come too?" Crystalpaw stood by Silverpaw's side. Silverpaw felt a rush of gratitude for the snow-white she-cat. Since the overnight vigil for Breezepaw, Crystalpaw refused to let Silverpaw be alone for long. And she was thankful that she didn't. Breezepaw's final screams echoed in Silverpaw's ears still, and the image of her fear-filled eyes stuck in her mind like a burr in her pelt. The feel of Crystalpaw's fur against hers, and her soothing voice seemed to block everything else out.

For a moment Silverpaw was hopeful, seeing Tawnyfeather's amber eyes flicker over them. Then her heart sunk when her mentor shook her head

"No, this is a talk that needs to stay just between Silverpaw and I." Tawnyfeather sighed. She didn't look like she wanted to do this either. "We'll be back soon." She added quickly when Crystalpaw's tail dropped to the ground.

"I'll take them back to camp." Houndclaw murmured to Tawnyfeather, and began to walk back to camp, Foxshade and Crystalpaw right behind him. Crystalpaw cast one last glance back at Silverpaw. Silverpaw liked that their eyes were the same dark, beautiful green.

"Let's go." Tawnyfeather nudged her gently, and padded away. Silverpaw bit back a sigh, and followed. She immediately recognized the path they were taking. Squinting, she could see the OceanClan border, the harsh blues of the water pushing back the soft greens and yellows of the shore. The wind brushed through Silverpaw's whiskers, carrying the scent of the ocean. She closed her eyes, and let her muscles loosen.

"Do you want to race?" Silverpaw opened her eyes, and looked at her mentor, her orange eyes glowing like suns against her white face.

Silverpaw watched the wind roll the grass over the hills. Her paws itched, and a since-lost longing awoke in her heart.

"Yes." She meowed, and smiled. Tawnyfeather purred briefly, and took off down the hill. Silverpaw leaped after her. The moor felt familiar under her paws as she ran. The wind carried her over the moor, as if she was flying. I may not be the best hunter, or fighter, but I'm fast. Silverpaw thought with a smirk. She remembered her first time out on the moor, and how it had seemed to stretch on forever. She remembered catching the rabbit. She remembered showing Jaypaw the moor, and how fun it had been to run with him.