Chapter Ten

Warning: blood, and descriptions of murder 

Silverpaw looked up at Mudstar, who was perched on top of Highledge. Her heart was beating so loud, she could barely hear her Clanmates' cheers over it. This is it! I'm finally becoming a warrior! She glanced over her shoulder at Snowcloud, who was smiling warmly. Silverpaw's chest swelled with love. She's proud of me.

"Today, we welcome two new warriors!" Mudstar announced, silencing the excited chatters in the crowd. Silverpaw barely dared to breathe. Her father leaped down, standing in front of Crystalpaw, her deep green eyes shining.

"Crystalpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and to protect your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." The white she-cat said, her voice clear. Though, Silverpaw could see she was shaking.

"Then I give you your warrior name. From this moment on, you will be known as Crystalblaze." Mudstar touched his nose to Crystalblaze's forehead, and she licked his shoulder. The leader stepped over to Silverpaw. She stood up straight, trying to look tall.

"Silverpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and to defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" Silverpaw stared into her father's leaf-green eyes. She saw pride and joy shining in them.

"Yes." She meowed confidently. "I do."

"Then I give you your warrior name-" Mudstar was cut off by a screech. Silverpaw whirled around to see Redbubble rushing out of the elder's den. She hissed under her breath. What now!?

"Stop the ceremony!" The tortoiseshell elder panted. "OceanClan is invading!" He'd barely gotten the words out before Wavestar burst out of the long grasses, pouncing on him, a stream of warriors behind her.

"OceanClan warriors! Attack!" Wavestar yowled. Silverpaw felt a rush of guilt. I'm sorry, Redbubble! The warriors from both Clans flung themselves into battle. Immediately, Silverpaw bounded over to the nursery, where Blossomwing's young kits were peeking out. She nudged them inside the den, and met their mother's startled expression.

"What's going on out there!?" Blossomwing drew her kits closer.

"OceanClan's attacking! Keep them safe, and I'll defend the nursery." Before turning to exit, Silverpaw saw the queen smile gratefully, and cover her kit's protectively with her tail.

Silverpaw stood at the nursery's entrance, her fur bristling, as an OceanClan tom stalked near, a nasty grin on his face. She swiped at his muzzle, grinning in satisfaction as her claws sliced his nose, blood spurting out of the wound. He hissed. She recognized him now- it was Blizzardclaw. She snarled. He'd been nasty towards her when she accidentally bumped into him at the last Gathering.

Silverpaw clawed at the gray tom once more, her claws catching his eye. He yowled in pain, and dashed off, blood pouring down his face. Silverpaw scanned the clearing. She spotted Crystalblaze facing off with a dark ginger tom she didn't know. Blood stained her sister's snow-white fur. Silverpaw longed to go help her, but she knew she had to protect the kittens.

Something slammed into her side, pinning her to the ground. She looked up to see a familiar white face, splotched with gray and orange.

"That's for messing with my former mentor!" Cloverpaw hissed. Silverpaw felt a cut on her shoulder sting.

"Cloverpaw!?" Silverpaw gasped. She'd never been friends with the strange OceanClan apprentice, but it still hurt to see her attacking her home.

"That's Cloverleaf to you." Cloverleaf's tail lashed, and she bit down on Silverpaw's leg. Silverpaw ripped furiously into Cloverleaf's belly fur with her hind claws, until she was able to push her off, and away from the nursery. She hissed, trying to ignore the pain.