Chapter Eighteen

"You killed her!" Cloverleaf's screech was thick with fury and pain. Jaywing was struggling to stay calm; he knew that Wavestar was not on her last life, but Cloverleaf's panic was making it difficult.

"I was wrong about you! You're evil and heartless!" Cloverleaf screamed. Everyone from both Clans were staring at them now. Jaywing felt small.

"No! He was protecting me!" Silverstorm jumped to his side. "He was fighting for what he-"

"SHUT UP!" Cloverleaf spat. "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT-"

"Can you stop yelling!?"

Cloverleaf spun around. Wavestar was pushing herself out of the sand, drawing in slow, heavy breaths. The young warrior rushed over to her, frantically licking her wound. Jaywing let his shoulders relax. Wavestar would be fine.

"Thank StarClan..." Cloverleaf muttered, pressing herself into her mother's fur.

"I'm not out of lives yet!" Wavestar pushed away, forcing herself to stand. Her weakened legs trembled beneath her as they struggled to hold her. Jaywing held his ground as her eyes pierced into his. Was she going to try and fight him? Three more kills and Jaywing would easily win, especially with all of LightClan by his side. But to Jaywing's surprise, Cloverleaf moved in front of Wavestar before the gray cat could do anything.

"This battle is over." Cloverleaf spoke, the Clans quiet enough now to hear her clearly.

"Wavestar will decide when this fight is over!" Shadedwillow shoved her way to the front of the crowd.

"No, she's right." Wavestar looked at her deputy, and then to her daughter. Cloverleaf gave a soft smile. She's only protecting Wavestar. Jaywing thought. He glanced around at the LightClan warriors. Only a few suffered from wounds that would hold them back from their Clan duties. But he felt sympathy for the OceanClan cats, bleeding from deep wounds and limping pitifully. And Blizzardclaw's life had been taken, his body dragged away by a couple of his Clanmates. We couldn't fight anymore if we wanted.

"Then you admit your defeat?" Mudstar stepped forward, glaring down at the OceanClan leader. His voice was cold and steady, but Jaywing saw pride glimmer in his eyes. After they'd taken so much from LightClan, he'd finally been able to strike back.

"You've won this battle, but we'll be back for war!" Wavestar snapped, showing one last moment of fierceness. She faltered, groaning in pain.

"Let's go home, LightClan." Mudstar gathered his warriors, and turned to leave.

"Wait!" Wavestar called out. Jaywing watched her break away from her Clan, and shuffled over to him. Fury glowed in her eyes like fire.

"Yes, Wavestar?" Jaywing whispered, failing to find the strength to speak any louder. She leaned in close, hissing in his ear.

"If you step paw on OceanClan land from here on out, I will flay the skin off your body and paint the ocean red with your blood." She stepped back, and let her warriors take her away. Jaywing stood, staring after them as they faded to small dots in the distance. He hadn't thought of this. Where was he supposed to go?

"Jaywing?" A sweet voice spoke behind him. He glanced over his shoulder at Silverstorm, her green eyes shining. What was that all about? How could she be so happy when she'd just witnessed him remove one of his former leader's lives? She stepped forward, pressing her muzzle to his cheek, purring warmly. "You saved me."

Jaywing smiled, feeling his guilt melt away. He'd protected her from suffering the same fate that her mother did. That was all that mattered.

Mudstar approached them, and Jaywing pulled back. His tail twitched nervously. Was Mudstar going to send him away? Was he going to have to live as a rogue? He looked at Silverstorm, and saw his own fears mirrored in her eyes. Don't take me away from her again!