Epilogue

Mudstar gazed at his baby kittens, his eyes filled with joy. Only a quarter moon had passed since they came into this world, and he already felt like they were growing. With three little bundles, curled up against their mother's belly, this was the happiest Mudstar had ever been.

Yet, his joy was overshadowed by Windstar's grim warning from the night before. "Darkness will consume the Clans, and only the Moon's shadow can save them." What does she mean? Are my kits in danger?

"What's wrong, Mudstar?" Snowcloud asked, noticing the troubled look on the leader's face. He shook his head.

"Nothing to worry about right now." Mudstar sighed. That's right. Whenever trouble comes, I'll be ready to face it. He drew his tongue over his daughter's head, the black stripes on her silver fur matching his. She blinked her tiny eyes open, looking up at Mudstar with the greenest eyes he'd ever seen. Seeing her pale gray fur, and her shiny white belly, her name appeared in his mind.

It felt right.

"They'll need names at some point." Mudstar purred to his mate. Snowcloud nodded.

"What did you have in mind?"

"The brown tabby will be Breezekit. The white one should be Crystalkit." He touched his nose to their heads with the tenderness of any queen.

"Hmm... I like those names." Snowcloud smiled. "What about the gray one?"

Mudstar looked down at his daughter, and felt the shock of lightning run through him. Echoing in his mind, he heard the crumble of rocks and the screech of a cat. The moon's bright light flashed before him, and he squeezed his eyes shut. No, no! Windstar, what do you mean!? What will come for me?

"Mudstar?" Snowcloud's voice reached him, and he opened his eyes again.

"I'm okay, just a headache." Mudstar glanced back down at the pale she-kit. He could feel it. There was a great destiny waiting for Silverkit.