Chapter Twelve

Silverstorm skirted the moor, the wind carrying her paws over the hills. She closed her eyes, letting the breeze caress her face. She had missed this feeling. She'd loved staying with Jaywing in their secret place, but now that she was going home, there wasn't any other place she'd rather be. I think the salty smell of the ocean was getting to me. She thought, as she breathed in the soft, sweet scents of the moor.

She didn't think that she would be going home so early. Silverstorm recalled how her entire world had seemed to shatter as Leopardclaw accused her. She'd felt the stares of her Clanmates burning into her skin, and how the air had been too thick to breathe. What they thought of her no longer mattered. Or, at least, she was going to keep telling herself that. Of course it will always hurt. But she wouldn't let grief get in the way of her duty as a warrior.

Silverstorm slowed her pace as she neared the camp. The smells of cats and prey rushed into her nose. She missed those smells. While eager to be back home, nervousness pricked at her pelt. What would Mudstar say? Would she be punished?

Foxshade and Leaftail pushed out of the gorse tunnel, probably going on evening patrol, and Silverstorm froze as their eyes locked on her. Foxshade's ears perked, and the she-cats bounded over.

"Silverstorm! You're back!" Leaftail purred happily, her green eyes glowing. Foxshade drew her tongue over Silverstorm's ear. Silverstorm felt warm. She missed her Clanmates more than she thought. The older warriors flanked Silverstorm as they walked back to camp. They cast her a few questioning glances, but to her relief, they asked nothing of where she'd been. She pushed through the tunnel, gorse catching on her fur, but she was too excited to care. She stepped into the clearing, and instantly, several pairs of eyes turned to her.

"Silverstorm!" Crystalblaze's voice was the first of many, as she crossed the clearing in a few long jumps. The white she-cat pressed her muzzle to Siverstorm's cheek, purring so loud Silverstorm thought she'd go deaf. She licked her sister's cheek. "I missed you!" Crystalblaze was shaking with relief. Guilt pierced Silverstorm's heart. I should've never left. It was so selfish of me...

More cats wandered over, Tawnyfeather and Minnowfin among them. Silverstorm watched as Mudstar walked out of his den, blinking slowly as if the commotion had woken him from a deep sleep. He spotted Silverstorm, and his green eyes brightened, like the sun rising over the leaves of the forest. He bounded over, the crowd parting to let him through.

Mudstar parted his jaws to speak as he approached her, but no words came out. He just sighed heavily in relief, resting his chin on her head. She leaned into his warmth.

"I'm sorry, Mudstar."

"No, no, it's okay." He hushed her, his tail brushing over her shoulder. "There were so many things I could've done differently... I'm just so happy you're safe." He stepped back, looking her in the eyes. Silverstorm could tell that her father's mind was buzzing with thoughts, so many things he wanted to say. She gave him a lick on the shoulder, not knowing what else to do.

Silverstorm backed away, glancing outside the camp's exit. There was something she needed to do. She turned to Tawnyfeather, who blinked at her sympathetically. She always knows what I'm thinking, doesn't she?

The two she-cats separated from the group, and made their way outside camp. They edged the mountains, walking up to a patch in the earth where the soil had been turned up. Flowers set on the dirt, wilting with time. Silverstorm plucked a fresh one from the ground in her teeth, and carefully set it on the grave.

"Hi, Snowcloud." She whispered to the ground, grief suddenly crashing on her like the waves on the shore. "I'm home now. I'm sorry I didn't come to say goodbye earlier." Yet she felt strangely at peace. She remembered her mother's long, soft, white fur, and her big, brown eyes. She thought about how painful her last moments must've been. You're safe now. She looked up to the stars that were appearing in the sky. Snowcloud was with Breezepaw, and knowing that made everything a little bit better.