17.0

May (2019)

"Great surgery Dr. Maverick."

"Thank you Katie. I appreciate your help in there, as always." Winston takes a deep breath and stretches after a long and grueling open heart surgery. Winston became a doctor because he wanted to help people. And he chose cardiology because he wanted to fix broken hearts. It's really sappy but that's what intrigued him.

He can fix other people's hearts, but he has trouble fixing his own. Ironic right? Since he got back from the firefight, he's been trying to see if something is happening between himself and Aliyah. But Winston's problem is that he's not looking for a girlfriend. He wants a wife. He wants someone to spend the rest of his life with, to have children with. And a lot of women get scared when someone does that kind of talk.

Winston goes to his locker to check his phone for any calls and messages. And he has one from Aliyah.

Aliyah: It's been a while since I've heard from you. Just wanted to make sure you were still alive.

Winston smiles to himself before replying.

Winston: Yes. I am still alive. Thank you for the pulse check. Are you busy tomorrow night? I'd like to take you out to dinner.
Aliyah: I would love that. What time?
Winston: I can pick you up at around 7.
Aliyah: I'll be ready. And I'll send you my address.
Winston: See you then.

He takes a sigh of relief and puts his phone in his pocket.

➳➳➳➳➳┄┄※┄┄➳➳➳➳➳

"What about this one?" JoJo looks at another dog.

"I don't like the way he's looking at me." Seth makes a face.

"He's not looking at you funny." JoJo laughs.

"He is! Look at that. We are definitely not bringing this one home."

"Okay, okay. We'll keep looking." The two walk around the pet store hand in hand to look for a furry companion.

"Why not a cat?"

"Yeah. No. Cats hate me." JoJo says. Seth scoffs.

"What? That's crazy. Cats love you." JoJo makes a face at him.

"Frenchy had a cat." She says.

"That doesn't count. Because that wasn't a cat. That was a demon from the fiery pits of hell."

"That damn thing scratched the shit out of my arm. I couldn't go to her house. I've tried to stay away from cats ever since then."

"Alright, alright. No cats." The two continue to walk and look at each cage. "What about this little guy?" Seth looks in and sees a dog huddled up in the corner. JoJo turns around.

"He's so cute." She walks up to the cage. "Hey buddy." The dog turns around. "Hi there." Seth finds an employee.

"Can we see this guy here?"

"Of course." She says. She opens the cage and hands the dog to Seth. "This is a Frenchie/Beagle mix." The employee leaves the couple alone with the dog.

"He's so pretty." JoJo says as she strokes his head. The two go over to the play area and put the dog on the floor with a couple of toys to play with. He's very shy at first but the more time JoJo and Seth spend with him, the more the dog opens up to him.

"I like him." Seth says.

"Me too." JoJo smiles. Seth watches his wife play with their new dog and smile to himself. He almost has everything. He has the wife, the pet, the house, the job and the friends. Now all he needs are some beautiful children and he will feel complete.