𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟬

Y/n

"Shh, baby. I know you don't want to go to sleep, but Mommy is extremely tired and would love to have a moment by herself."

Hyun Ki didn't quiet, and I sighed, rubbing his little back while he sobbed on. It was Friday night, and June was covering an event, so I was stuck inside with a screaming baby who refused to go to sleep.

I knew what it was. It was because he didn't want to be here, and I couldn't replace the father that he had just started to know.

I missed Taehyung as well.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to my crying son, wishing I could just bawl myself. I did at night, a lot, but my tears were silent as they streaked down my cheeks. I cried for many reasons.

I cried for my parents and everything that I had missed with them, the milestones that they would never reach.

I cried for the loss of my life, my job, and my freedom. I always gave wherever I could, but I wanted to be selfish for once.

I cried for my son. If I wanted him to know his father, that meant I had to give up his own future for him. Under Taehyung, Hyun Ki would never be able to choose for himself. He wouldn't be able to pick his career, go to college, or even marry who he wanted to. He would be taught nothing but violence, and I would have to stand back and watch it happen.

I cried for my unborn child, who also would be the one that suffered if I went back to its father.

Most of all, I cried for Taehyung. For the loss of his innocence, being brought up in the world he lived in. I cried because he couldn't be the man I needed him to be, that our children needed for him to be. He would always be wrapped up in the need to protect us, and because of that, we would never have a normal life.

Finally, after minutes of bouncing and soothing noises, Hyung Ki's head dropped to my shoulder, and I sighed, walking to the bedroom quickly. Hyun Ki barely stirred as I laid him on the bed and covered him with the blanket, wishing I could have a glass of wine to soothe my own frazzled nerves. I hated being this way. I hated feeling like I didn't have control over my life. I had nothing, and it was starting to wear on me.

Instead of that coveted glass of wine, I ended up with a water bottle and sat on the couch, staring at the wall. June had been great, but it was time for me to decide what I was going to do with my life. The good news was that there was some money left in my account. Haneul had seen to it that I received the bonus for closing the deal with Taehyung, and since I had spent the last two months with Taehyung himself, I hadn't had a reason to spend my own money.

Three grand wasn't going to get me very far, but it was more than I had on my person. I had made a few calls to get replacement credit cards, and as much as I didn't want to start with borrowing credit, I really didn't have much a choice. There was the account that Taehyung had set up for me to order whatever I needed, but I didn't dare log into it. The moment I did, he would find me, and I could kiss the rest of my life goodbye. If Taehyung found me, my freedom would be nonexistent.

No, I had to find a way out.

I pulled Taehyung's ring off my thumb and rolled it around between my fingers, something I did often. Shamefully, I wanted to feel some sort of connection to him through that ring, to know if he was okay. I wanted to feel the phantom touch of his hands on my body so that I could sleep peacefully at night, at least.

June said that she hadn't seen any sign of Taehyung's men outside of her apartment, which meant that Taehyung still hadn't found me. In fact, she hadn't seen signs of anything outside the ordinary, which also meant Baekhyun hadn't caught wind of my location either.