𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟬

Taehyung

"조폭, 조폭."

I looked away from the passing scenery and over at Jungkook. "What?"

"I've been trying to get your attention for the last ten minutes," he remarked, resting his hand on his knee.

"Sorry," I muttered, rubbing a hand over my face. "No sleep."

We were on our way to check in on one of my businesses on the East Side. Rumor was that Baekhyun's men had been sniffing around, and I wanted to ensure that they were not planning on striking.

Hell, I had already lost too many fucking businesses already. The NYPD had turned its back on me, no longer providing the extra line of support in this war.

I was on my own.

Right now, nothing was right in my world. My fucking mafia was falling apart.

My home life was nonexistent. I hadn't seen Hyun Ki awake in months. Y/n avoided me like the plague, and the only time I got to see her was when I entered her room at night, careful not to wake her, and gazed at the woman who was carrying my second child.

I was screwing up again.

"Give me a status report," I said instead, wiping my palms on my pants.

"Three businesses this week," Jungkook started, realizing I wasn't going to tell him anything past what I had already blurted out. "Not to mention the butcher shop."

Four fucking businesses. I had lost four businesses to Baekhyun's attacks. He never hit them up the same; some he killed the owners, while the others he just took their money.

No, my money. He took my money.

"We've hit six," Jungkook continued. "The last one gave us some trouble. The owner took out one of our men, so we had to retaliate."

"Then it was justified," I concluded. I wanted to first clean out Baekhyun's businesses then sway them over to my side. Without the money, I could give them the promise of a better business arrangement and start to take over some of the businesses that he used to push inventory through. It was a game we both played. The businesses in the city were vital to keeping our inventory moving and providing steady cash to fund those operations.

Now I was down four and would have to make it up in some other way.

Not to mention Y/n. "Make sure that the others hear about the death," I replied, drumming my fingers along my knee. "I need them scared."

"Yes, 조폭."

I looked at my second-in-command. "Did she go to her appointment?" I didn't need to elaborate on who she was.

Jungkook cleared his throat. "Yeah. I took her myself, though she clearly would have liked for you to be there instead. There were no issues. The doctor says she's progressing nicely, and Y/n refused the gender reveal again."

My lips flattened in a thin line. Sure, I wanted to be there, but work had been too busy that day, and I had nearly missed sending Jungkook in my place, not sure if Y/n would have wanted me there or not. I hadn't been part of their lives. I hadn't even attempted to do so, driving that wedge deeper between us.

There was so much I wanted to do that I couldn't, that I had grown used to having with my wife and family. I missed them.

I wanted Y/n to look at me with devotion in her eyes like she had done in the past.

I wanted to tuck my son in at night, watching as he learned something new.

I wanted to sleep next to my wife in our bed, feel her hand reach out for me in the middle of the night.