𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟰

Y/n

I flopped on my back and stared up at the darkened ceiling, hating that I couldn't just fall asleep. The bed felt foreign to me, like I didn't belong in it, and honestly, I didn't want to be in here.

But Taehyung hadn't offered for me to share his bed tonight, so I had retired to my suite, a thousand thoughts running through my mind.

His father had killed my parents, not Taehyung, but he had been there. He had stood by and watched them be murdered in cold blood. Though his admission was a bit easier to swallow, knowing that he hadn't done the deed, it still meant that he had been there when my father had taken his last breath, likely calling for my mom.

Taehyung and his family had robbed me of them for the future, and it would take some time for me to get past that.

But what wasn't taking any time was the fact that I couldn't go to sleep.

It wasn't Taehyung's idle threats about taking our children away. I had always known that at any moment he could do that, and I would be powerless to stop him. The only life he knew was doling out hurt to people, and honestly, I couldn't blame him. He hadn't grown up in the best environment to begin with.

I didn't like, however, that he would resort to using our children as pawns to keep me in line. I would do anything for my children, anything to ensure their safety, and deep down, I knew that Taehyung would never hurt his own flesh and blood.

He would, though, remove me from the picture.

Sighing, I rolled on my side, punching my pillow with my fist. I hadn't lied to my husband. I still loved him. No matter what he did, nothing, apparently, could change that fact. I could run far away, put thousands of miles between us, but my heart knew what it wanted, and it wanted Taehyung.

Well, I wanted his heart, too, but I wasn't so sure he had one.

No, he had one. I just had to get the darkness that surrounded it to latch onto someone else. I could open Taehyun's heart. I could make him feel again, make him love someone other than his precious mafia and his family traditions. Already I had seen small glimpses of that love he could share. He loved our son, whether he wanted to admit it or not. I had seen the look on his face when he had held him earlier.

It was the look that every little kid wanted to see from his parents. The relief on Taehyung's handsome face was evident to anyone at that moment, and I honestly hated myself for putting him through the worry by running away. It was no longer just about me. It was about the children we had conceived together, and it didn't make me any better of a parent to rip that away from him.

No matter what he did.

Ugh. My life was so stupidly complicated.

In a huff, I rose from the bed and walked to the door, finding the knob turning easily in my hand. Well, at least he hadn't resorted to locking me in again. I wouldn't put it past him.

Maybe he really was trying, and that meant then I needed to try, too, for the sake of my children's futures.

Walking out into the hall, I made my way to the kitchen. If I wasn't going to sleep, then the least I could do was eat. After all, I was eating for two.

But as I rounded the corner, I found Jungkook standing at the island, a mug in front of him. The hulking guard seemed just as startled to see me. "I'm sorry," I said. "I've disturbed you."

He shook his head, his eyes wary. "You didn't. I'm just burning the midnight oil, waiting for my shift replacement to arrive."

I glanced at the clock, finding it just a little after one in the morning. "Do you ever sleep?"