𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟱

Y/n

I sat in the car as it raced through the city toward the hospital, a hand resting on my quivering stomach. My entire life was in shambles.

My husband hated me.

My children were in danger of being taken away from me.

I had nowhere to go.

My heart was broken beyond repair.

And now I was about to give birth. Heck, I wished it were more like the first time, where June had been there and at least I felt like I had someone in my corner. The man that sat on the seat beside me acted like he could not care less if I hurt or not. He only wanted my child. Taehyung had been pretty clear in that regard, and I was sick to my stomach. "I'm going to throw up."

"Pull over," Taehyung said harshly.

The car did so, and I barely got the door opened in time before I upchucked my breakfast, the heaves adding to the contraction pain I was already feeling.

A hand lay on my back and I closed my eyes against the onslaught of tears. "Just throw me out of the car," I said tearfully, wiping my mouth. "I know you want to."

There was a heavy sigh behind me before I was pulled back into the car, the door shut. "Lean on me," he grated out, forcing me to lie against his shoulder. I did so gratefully, wincing as a contraction shot through me. It hurt horribly, and of everything that could have happened today, this was not what I needed.

"Here," Taehyung said, his voice gentle. "Use me."

I slid my hand in his, squeezing it hard. I would rather him be mad at me than attempting to help me like this, but a part of me was glad that he was being the helpful significant other.

I was just so tired of fighting, fighting him and pretending like something was going to work out for me in the end.

It wasn't.

The car pulled up to the emergency room entrance and Taehyung himself climbed out, the door opening a moment later with an anxious nurse and a wheelchair. In no time I was wheeled to the labour and delivery unit and placed in a bed, a monitor strapped to my stomach.

"You are seven centimetres," the nurse announced as she pulled off her gloves. "I'm going to have the doctor come and check you, too, Mrs. Kim, but we should have a baby in no time."

"Thanks," I murmured, giving her a tiny smile before she left Taehyung and me alone in the room.

He pushed away from the wall he had been leaning on and approached the bed, the constant beep of our baby's heartbeat filling the air. "Are you okay?" he asked, his jaw clenched.

"I'm having a baby," I joked miserably. "What do you think?"

A shadow of a smile crossed his face before it was gone. "You will let me know if there's something they aren't doing for you."

Despite my reservations, I reached out and grasped Taehyung's scarred hand. "I've done this before, Taehyung. It's fine."

"I haven't," he growled, lacing our fingers together.

His uncertainty touched me, and I wanted to erase the last three days between us, to forget that I had ever seen Ye-jun in his office or that I had ever called June. I hated that this was between us during a time that was supposed to be special.

Taehyung must have felt my own uncertainty because he brushed his lips over my temple before pulling away. "I need to make some calls."

I cleared my throat. "Of course. I'll be here."