Chapter 2

A mother.

That was what she told Kenma when he asked her what she wants for her birthday. And when Kenma told her she can't have it, she started to throw a tantrum, she refused to eat and she cried.

Kenma couldn't even explain the reason why, and it's not as if she can understand either.

"Maybe she's used to getting whatever she wants that being denied of something for once made her like that," Kenma muttered, concluding to himself.

But Kuroo was thinking of something else.

"Why don't you just tell her?"

"Kuro," Kenma spoke, looking at his friend. "She's six."

"And? You plan to tell her when she's seven? What's the difference?"

"A year," Kenma said. "A year is what the difference is. People learn a lot, and a lot of things will change in a year. She'll be a year older then."

But for some reason, it feels like it wasn't just Suki being young, but Kenma is still hesitant to tell her. He's stalling time because he doesn't know where to start, how to continue and when to stop. And it might overwhelm the little girl.

"She has me," Kenma muttered, averting his gaze down. "She has her grandmother. Why does she need a mother?"

"A grandmother is different from a mother, Kenma," Kuroo said, making Kenma looked at him.

That might be true, but Kenma couldn't possibly tell her about her real mother.

He couldn't give her a new one either.

Suki is growing up thinking she can get whatever she wants. Sometimes Kenma think he is to blame. But the only reason why he worked so hard when he hates being tired was so he can earn more money, not for him but for Suki.

And now he realized how his mother must have felt back then. Back when she was working day and night, sacrificing her health for them.

Although money is a convenience, Kenma didn't intend to have this much. Just enough for him and for his mother.

But when Suki arrived in his life, it became a different story. And Kenma wanted to give her everything.

Well everything, except for what she was asking for this time.

"Anyways, why don't we focus on the more concerning matter for now?" Kuroo stated, taking his phone. "We can't let Suki-chan get sick since she refuse to eat her meals and only eat junk foods."