Chapter 17

Kenma sat in the living room, his phone in hand as he dialled a number before he put the device next to his ear and waited for a few seconds until it was answered.

"Kenma," the familiar voice of a woman said at the other end of the line and Kenma felt the instinctive upturn of his lips.

"Mom," he said.

"Why did you call? Is everything alright there? What about Suki-chan?"

Kenma had been used to it by now. Every time he calls his mom, she would often bombard him with questions that are mostly about Suki. Not that Kenma hated it, in fact it's even more surprising if she doesn't ask that much question.

"Things are fine, mom," he said. "Even better than before. About Suki, well she..." Kenma trailed off, knowing his mother, she would ask a dozen questions once she hears that his precious granddaughter is down with a fever.

"She's fine, her temperature was a bit high this morning but she already took her medicine."

Kenma tried to rephrase his statement, anything but telling his mother that Suki is sick. Otherwise Kenma's mother might have barged in his house in the middle of the night at this rate. Not like she haven't done that before, so Kenma knew better than to worry his mother about Suki.

"She has someone taking care of her," he said, as if knowing the fact that she couldn't trust Kenma to take care of Suki while she's sick.

"Someone?" his mother asked. "At this hour?"

Kenma looked briefly at the clock and realized the time. It's almost ten in the evening now. "Did you call in a nanny?"

"No mom, she's not a nanny."

"She?" her mother asked, and even though Kenma cannot see, he has a strong feeling that her eyes have squinted suspiciously. "You mean a woman is in your house taking care of Suki-chan right now?"

"Yes,"

"And you haven't told me about her?"

"I just told you, mom," he said.

"No, I mean, you didn't tell me that you have a girlfriend."

"Mom, she's not—" Kenma cut himself off, his head lowered as he pinched the bridge of his nose before he straightened up. "I'll call you another time, mom."

"Well what about her? Aren't you going to tell me how you two met and—"

"Bye, mom, take care."