Chapter 16

The rain had passed the next morning, the dark clouds that hovered the day before felt like a distant dream as the sky cleared for the glorious sun's return. And the following days afterwards the sky didn't show any sign that it will rain for a while.

Tokyo had witnessed probably the most beautiful days of the year and it's perfect to go outside. However, you realized that people can't have everything all at once. Even though it's a good day and the sky is clear, the weather is not too hot or too cold, making it a perfect day to have a picnic in a park, you can't go outside.

No, it's not that you can't go outside yourself.

It's Suki who can't go outside.

The morning you woke up, you made breakfast as usual and you were waiting for Suki to make her bento together when you realized she hasn't come out of her room yet so you decided to go and check on her in case she is still asleep.

She is still lying on her bed, but when you walked up to her you noticed her eyebrows furrowed. "Suki-chan?"

She answered you with a supressed whimper. "Mommy..."

You quickly knew something was not right and your suspicion turned out to be true when you put your hand on her forehead and felt how hot it is.

"Suki-chan, you're burning," you said as the little girl slowly blink her eyes open and rubbed them while you stood up and headed to her drawer and took out a thermometer.

You put it between her lips before the little girl outstretched her arms and you picked her up. You pat her back a bit as she leaned on your shoulder and after a while you took out the thermometer. Her fever isn't that high for it to be alarming but it isn't low enough either.

"Let's change your clothes, Suki-chan," you said, placing her on her bed before heading to the dresser and taking out clothes for her to change on.

When you're done, you are about to tuck her back under the duvet but Suki whined and wrap her arms around your shoulders.

"Mommy," she said.

"Suki-chan, I'll just go to the kitchen for a while and bring you breakfast, alright?"

You tried to pull her arms down until she let go and you tucked her back in her bed, brushing some strands of her hair away from her face. You headed outside and saw Kenma in the kitchen.

"Where's Suki?" he asked.

"She's coming down with a fever," you said, taking a bowl and pouring the miso soup you cooked earlier while Kenma stood up.