Chapter 9

Another week passed, it's true when they say humans are adaptive. You have adapted quite easily with your new job, though there were times when you found yourself in an awkward situation with Kenma, or perhaps you were just overthinking things.

He did make it clear that he would treat you the same way he would treat Suki's birth mother. And you came to realize that Kenma treated the woman really good, since that's what you feel and he's been so good to you so far.

Though there were times when you would jump to conclusions, when you shouldn't have.

"We're here," Kenma said, averting his gaze ahead to look at the mirror and at Suki who is sitting at the back, busy with her tablet.

"Suki-chan," you said, and your voice made the little girl tear her gaze from her tablet to look up. "We're here."

"Ah, we're already at school."

"Like I said," Kenma said, looking from Suki to you and you looked at Kenma, raising your eyebrows in question before Kenma looked back at his daughter. "Do you only listen to Ms. Y/n now?"

"Is daddy jelly?" she asked before she looked at you. "I like Ms. Y/n, she's very kind to me."

"Am I not kind to you?" Kenma asked. "I gave you everything you want."

You opened the car door and stepped outside, heading to the backseat as you helped Suki with her bag.

"I even gave you a mother." When Kenma said that, you suddenly stopped before you shook your head for a second and smiled at Suki.

"Here you go," you said, helping her step outside the car. "Do well in school."

"I will!" Suki said, smiling brightly before she run to the school building.

You stood there until she got inside and you headed back inside the car, looking briefly at Kenma.

"You aren't really jealous, are you?" you asked and Kenma looked at you before he shook his head and started the ignition.

The car ride is engulfed in silence, though it wasn't anything uncomfortable. It wasn't like riding with a total stranger at least. Though it doesn't feel awkward, it doesn't exactly feel comfortable either. Just something neutral, you thought, which you were fine with after all.

But when you're starting to feel the silence slowly gnawing at you, you decided to start a conversation.

"Does Suki do well in school?" you asked.

"Of course," Kenma answered simply. "She's really smart, smarter than most kids her age. Who do you think she got that from?"

"Hmm..." you hummed, pursing your lips before you looked at Kenma. "Her birth mother?"