Chapter 9 (Retract)

Y/n's POV

"We need to talk." I went to the area where I'm supposed to meet the guy. It's a place where containers are kept in storage that will soon be carried to ships. It's dark and the only thing that lights up the place is the fire he created using some papers he's burning inside a tin drum.

The guy wearing an overcoat turned around to face me. "I don't see the girl."

"Why did you send Hyunjin?"

"Oh, you've met." He stared at the fire. "Well, I was expecting that since the angels are aware of you already, they would've already gotten you by now and I will be probably waiting for nothing."

"Not even a little bit of trust?"

He shrugged. "Things are getting delayed, Y/n. I need the girl now."

"You know what? She's right, I should ask for details. What do you need her for?"

"Her soul. I need her Holy Soul. The holiest among us."

"Why?"

He frowned. "Too many questions but anyway, I'll answer. The knowledge that her soul has, I need it."

"What for?"

"Hmmm...stuff...some big stuff...like the secret of our universe...and maybe...you know...use it to banish mankind and its entirety."

"What?"

"Kidding. Kidding. I'm a normal person. I don't have any use for that. Well, you cannot really do that with a Holy Soul. Only angels could do that. But my purpose is to stop the connection between mankind and the heavens. It's...it's useless anyway. What is her use? The heavens don't listen anyway. Might as well end the circle and get it over with."

"Doing that will ruin the balance between humans, heavens and demons..."

"What is your kind in need of a Holy Soul? You're the reason there's evil."

"No...God created that. Stop. It's called free will. We need that for balance."

"And go to hell and suffer forever?"

"You don't immediately go to hell." I feel like I'm arguing with a kid. "Didn't the Holiness die for your sins?"

"It's a temporary answer for all problems. In the end, you go to hell."

I rolled my eyes. "Wow...I don't understand your reasoning. We need the Holy Soul for balance because without it, there will be no understanding between humans, heavens, and hell. Why? Because that's how mankind evolved. That's how human souls grow until they're ready and return the energy back to the universe. Throwing off the balance will create chaos."

"And yet you're here. You should be dead. Demons are not following that rule."

"It's another thing. If the heavens have the Holy Soul. Hell have us."

He nodded in agreement. "I forgot. Your likes have no souls anymore. So it means you will no longer reincarnate. You are not part of this universe anymore and because of that you are useless to the Heavens. They will not even hunt you if you just remain silent under the darkness but you don't do that. They hunt the likes of you, because you are the temptation that makes these poor souls sin. You are just an abomination. A problem because you are spreading that sin."

I laughed. "We just give them what they want. What they wish for."

"In exchange for a payment."

"There's nothing free in this world anymore. You mistake our existence, at the end of the day, it is still human choice. Their actions. Which they don't understand has consequences. It's up to them if they fall for the temptation."