Chapter 33 (Hands Tied II)

On our next job, which has been almost a week after our last one, Joy brought us to a countryside that is really familiar to me.

"Who are we working within this area?" I asked. "You're such a workaholic."

"Do you know where 'Reality' street is?" Joy asked as she looked at her phone.

"Reality street?"

She nodded. She showed me the screen of her bucks.

"Revality street." I corrected. (This is made up btw)

She squinted her eyes. "I need to work on my eyesight. Remind me when we get our next payment."

"It's a street across the old church."

Joy made a disgusted face upon hearing the word 'church'.

"It's over there." I started walking towards the church. It only took us a few minutes to reach the street.

"Okay..." she squinted her eyes again to check her phone.

"Who is texting you?" I asked. "I never knew you had a phone. We don't use it anyway."

"Yeah...I met this person on a dating site."

"Wait...what?"

"Yeah, but I am not familiar with the area."

"Did you just ask me to bring you to your date?"

She smiled playfully at me.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I don't have enough patience for this."

"You can go now. We will meet in this same spot before night."

I raised a brow. "I am way too underpaid for this, Joy."

"Tomorrow....night of tomorrow...not tonight. Tomorrow night."

I shook my head. "My brother's house is close by anyway."

She nodded. "Yeah...do that." She started walking towards wherever she planned to go while I made my way towards my brother's house. To my surprise, he's not in his house. I sat on the stairs along the porch and waited for him to come back. It's almost night and it's quite unusual for him to be this late on a typical day. I'm starting to feel nervous so I checked around the area instead to see if he was around.

I finally saw a familiar car parked in the intersection. That's an unusual spot to park a car. I walked closer to the car to see my brother sitting quietly on the driver's seat.

"Kook?" I called. I knocked on the door to get his attention but he was not answering. I started to feel cold. My hands are shaking nervously and my voice is starting to shake. "Kook?" I knocked on his door louder. "Jungkook!" My voice cracked. No, not here. Should I help him? No, he can't see me. Are there people around?

I sensed that someone was close to our spot so I moved away from the car. A girl ran towards the side where my brother is and tried to open the door too. She couldn't see me because I'm invisible to anyone's eyes now.

"Sir? Can you hear me?" She asked.

I took another step back. Why is she here right now? Of all the people?

"Ji-yong!" She shouted somewhere. A guy followed behind.

"Why? What's wrong, Jennie?" It's the guy who made a wish to us last week. I clenched my hands. I'm mad at him but I am also mad at myself. I should've done something about her soul.

"We passed by this car earlier and it's still here. The old man inside...I think he had a heart attack or something. Help me open the car."

Ji-yong tried to force open the door. "I think we need to break the glass." He went to the other side to break the glass with the steel that he found lying on the ground. He's finally able to have access to the lock and opens the door. On the other hand, Jennie took out her phone and dialed the emergency landline.

"Yes, hello...We're at the intersection in Helena street...the closest landmark is an old church...yeah...thank you. Please come fast. I think he's been here for more than an hour or two." (again, places here are made up)

I froze. Two hours? I looked at my brother's face. No...

Minutes later, an ambulance finally arrived. They took my brother out of the car.

"Babe, let's go now. It's getting late." Ji-yong said.

"No, I can't leave him alone." She said.

"Huh? We don't even know the old man."

"Does it matter? He's got no one to contact. I'll be staying by his side." She got into the ambulance and unknowingly sat beside me. I had to follow my brother wherever they were bringing him. According to the nurse, he's still breathing but having difficulty. Probably suffered a mild heart attack and due to old age, finds it quite difficult to recover.

The ambulance finally started moving and drove as fast as it could to the closest hospital.

"Ma'am, do you know this man personally?" The nurse asked.

"Ugh..." she frowned. "He's quite known in the area since he's the oldest. A hundred years old..."

"Oh..."

"Yeah..." she searched Jungkook's pockets. "Here, a wallet. There should be an identity card."

The nurse clicked his tongue. "Ma'am, that's our job."

"Yeah, sure." She studied my brother's wallet. "Jeon Jungkook...September 1, 1892."

"Whoa...a relic." The nurse said as he started writing.

She continued to study the ID. She made a quite sad smile and returned the ID back to the wallet and then returned the wallet back to Kook's pocket where she found it.

We finally arrived at the hospital. They all moved fast. They brought my brother to the emergency room while the girl waited outside. I stayed beside my brother inside the ICU. There's a two-way glass that lets the doctor, nurses, and family members be able to see the patient inside.

I remained inside close to my brother. They couldn't make me leave since they can't see me anyway while the girl who helped us remained outside.

I placed a hand on his. "Everything's going to be okay, Kookie. If you want to go now...just go. It's been long already. It's time to rest." I whispered to him. I could feel my eyes tearing up. "It's time to go."

I looked up to see that she was staring through the glass. She looks worried. What is she still doing here? She can go home whenever.

"Ugh..." My brother made a sound.

"Kook?" I called.

"Y/n..."

The girl that came with us disappeared from view and when she came back she was already with a doctor and two nurses. She must have called for them. They all came into the room to check on my brother.

"Y/n..." He called my name.

"Y/n?" The doctor asked the girl if she was familiar.

"Maybe a family member?" she guessed.

"Y/n..." my brother's eyes opened weakly. He's staring at me. Can he see me? "Y/n..." he teared up.

I held his hand tightly.

He forced a weak smile. "Y/n."

"I'm here, Kookie. Come on, let's rest."

The heart monitor on the side started to beep weakly as he finally succumbed to death.

"No..." the girl covered her mouth.

The doctor tried to resuscitate him by pumping his chest.

"Let me guide you there," I murmured. "Time to meet mom and dad."

The heart monitor finally showed a straight line as Jungkook stopped breathing.

"Time of death, eleven fifty-five PM." The doctor announced.

I smiled. A younger figure appeared on my side. I looked at the younger image of my brother. It's the same face I saw before I left him because I was scared that he'd figure out what I did. "It's been a while, kid."

He shook his head in disbelief. "All along..."

"I know...it's a long story."

It ain't Wednesday but I just felt like posting.. SO WHAT?! HUH?!

EHE~