Chapter 20 (Reincarnation)

Jennie’s POV

I remained at the spot where Y/n left me expecting her to come back. I kept looking at the window. I didn’t lock it just in case. I remained seated on my bed with my coat on and cotton candy completely melted onto the floor. I’m still waiting for her. Maybe she’ll return through the window just like last time.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

But no sign of her. 

Usually, I feel her presence when she is near but now there’s really nothing. Not even the minty smell. What did I do this time?

I slapped my head as punishment for my own stupidity. Why did I call her that? She must have been really shocked. Ugh, that demon hates feeling like a human. I must have really freaked her out.

I looked at the clock of my phone. It’s been thirty minutes since she left without saying anything to me, leaving me clueless if what I did really angered her. I guess she’s really not coming back for now.

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

I thought I’m not going to see Y/n again for a while just like last time but the next morning she was standing by the balcony. I opened the door towards the balcony and drew my way closer to her.

“Y/n, did I do anything wrong?” Was the first thing that came out of my mouth. I think I am more worried than angry at her for leaving just like that.

She didn’t answer and remained looking at the streets.

“I’m not really sure if what I said was offensive but I’m sorry. I didn’t know how that came out of my mouth either.”

She took a deep breath and released it after a long second.

“Y/n…”

“Stop vexing me.” She faced me with such fiery eyes. The same fiery eyes when I drew that sigil and almost burnt her to death.

“I am not trying to annoy you. You are the one that just suddenly changed mood last night. I’m trying to apologize even though I don’t know what to apologize for.”

“You’re right.”

“About what?”

“We’ve met before.”

“Wait...really?”

She laughed sarcastically. “It’s so annoying that you can’t remember shit but here I am, the memory kept replaying in my head like a broken record. It’s annoying. I’ve been up all night relieving the same scene over and over again.”

“I wish I knew what you’re talking about…”

“I do wish that too...sadly, this is your fate as a Holy Soul and this is mine as someone who had to live through it all.”

“What are you so angry about?”

“Ruby Jane Kim.” She handed me an old newspaper. No, she didn’t hand it to me. She pressed it against my chest angrily. 

I took it and read the front page. “An article from nineteen o’ three? Ruby Jane got married to a rich man named Taehyung. What am I supposed to do with this?”

She didn’t answer me and just stared at me with such angry eyes.

“Was this me? How sure are you?” I continued to read the article. “There’s nothing in this article about you or any in the newspaper. What am I supposed to be looking for?”