Chapter 29 (My Sacrifice)

Jennie's POV

Y/n only grew weaker and weaker each day. I know she's been trying to hide the pain she's feeling because of her mortal body but her eyes say it all. She's tired and dying.

She forced a smile at me as I got closer to her. Class just ended and we planned to go on a date. I held her hand as we walked towards our destination. We chose something that is close to my university since I have another class in four hours. We went to a cafe and ordered food. Y/n has been eating a lot lately too as if she's a normal human being. Her energy must be really low at this point. I watch her as she tries to eat.

Do I want to keep her now and never see her again or give her up now and get a chance to see her again in my next life? If I chose the latter, will Y/n like that? Will she keep taking wishes to keep her body alive or will she despise me for making that decision and just leave me forever. In the end, the decision falls into her hands.

"Jennie?" She called me back to reality.

"Oh..yeah..." I took a bite from my pastry.

"You've been thinking about it, huh?"

She knows me too well. "I can't simply avoid it when it's staring me right in front of my face."

She forced a weak smile. "About that..."

"Yeah?"

"My Superior didn't take my payment today."

I dropped my food on the table.

"I only have until tonight."

"Don't joke about something like that."

"I wish I am."

I could feel my eyes watering. "No...no...let's go somewhere. I'm not going to attend my last class for the day."

"It's your finals."

I shook my head. "That doesn't matter."

"It does. This is your future." Why is she always worried about my future? Why can't she worry about the 'now'?

"Without you in it. This is the last time I get to have one with you. Please let me have this."

She sighed. "Okay."

"Can we...can we go to your friend's house?"

"Irene's?"

I nodded. "Away from the angels."

"They already know the place."

"It will keep them off still."

"I cannot teleport us there. I don't have enough strength to do so."

"We'll ride a bus. Sure it will take a long time but..." I shook my head. "I could just redo the sigils in my room."

"Jennie..."

"What?"

"It's okay." She held my hand. "Let's go home and just...wait for the night to end."

I shook my head. "Too soon." I cried. I couldn't stop myself anymore. She went to my side to wrap her arms around me. She lowered her head on the curve between my head and shoulder. She's crying too.

And we did. We stayed at the balcony of my room and just stared at the full moon above us. Y/n is leaning her elbows on the balcony as she watches the moon with her weak eyes.

I held her hand with both of my hands.

She's been coughing a lot today. She even pulled herself back away from me. "You might get sick too." She covered her mouth with her arm as she coughed harder.

I stood closer to her. I made a decision. I finally made a decision. I held her hand again.

"Jennie." She tried to retrieve her hand from me but I tightened my grip on it.

"You are definitely going to hate me for this but at least you have a choice." I pursed my lips together. I didn't tell her this, but a few days ago I talked to my angels about this situation. I know this is what's right. At least for now. I also asked my angels to talk to Y/n's Superior about this since I have no idea how to contact him. Y/n will definitely hate me for this but I am just not ready. I want to see her again in my next life even if it means forgetting her now. This is the condition I made with them.

"What?" She coughed harder.

"I am letting you go."

"Yeah, I think that's the whole point."

"No. I mean, now."

"What are you talking about?" She glared her eyes at me.

"Letting you go would at least give you a choice. If you want to stay or not. If you want to be with me in my next life. Not like this. An ultimatum that you've suddenly thought of in one night. Don't worry. I already talked to them a few days ago. It has to be done."

"Jennie?"

A light appeared beside us appearing as both a female and male figure and a darker form-her superior, appeared on the other side.

"What's happening?" She asked.

"I chose to forget you in this lifetime. The angels will take away my memory of you while your Superior gives you your immortality back."

Y/n tried to retrieve her hand from me.

"This will give you a choice, Y/n." Tears started to fall from my eyes. "You take more wishes and continue to live on or just let the extended time your Superior has given you pass by and succumb to death. Either way, I've already forgotten you. In my next life, I may not possibly meet you. Or if I did, maybe I'm just going to be another face for you that will bump into you as you walk the streets. And you will be the same to me. But at least, I still met you. I'm just not ready to let go of you forever."

Y/n shook her head. "We already talked about this. You are not giving me any choice, Jennie. You're just making it harder for the both of us. It's going to be a repetitive pattern. As you said, maybe we are soulmates. We will definitely meet again and the same thing will happen. Over and over again. Are you not going to be tired of that? Don't think I'll get tired of that? Meeting different versions of you while I remain the same?"

I shook my head. "At least...I know that you are somewhere around the world and not in the nothing. Wherever that is."

"How sure are you that I am going to make that choice? How sure are you that I am going to choose to continue living like this and not just let myself die?" Her voice is starting to crack. "Let's just get it over with and let me go, Jennie. Either way, you're going to forget about me."

I shook my head. "I can't. Maybe not now. But maybe someday. I will be finally able to accept it and completely let you go."

"This is such a selfish decision." Her voice is becoming raspy as she forces herself to speak. She looked at her Superior. "Why didn't you tell me about this? Is this the reason why you didn't take my payment today?"

Her superior didn't answer.

"Is it to force me to make a decision now?" Her voice turned angrier.

"I love you. Don't ever forget that." I landed a kiss on her hand and took a step back.

She returned her sight to me. She tried to grab my hand but I took another step back further from her. "Jennie..."

I took a look at her one last time. "Don't forget." I closed my eyes.

"Jennie!" A voice shouted. I could feel being drifted away by the wind until I could no longer feel anything.

"Jennie!" The voice echoed.

I opened my eyes to a bright sunny day.

WAIT WHATT??!?!?!?! SHOCKING DIBA?!

I wonder what will happen now that Jennie's memories about Y/n are erased..

HMH...