Chapter 35 (Almost)

Y/n's POV

During the funeral, only me, Joy, and Jennie are around. Aside from the priest doing the prayer and one assistant. I decided to bury the body next to Irene's.

"That's the old witch's grave, right?" Joy pointed at it.

I nodded.

"Hers looks well taken care of," Joy smirked playfully at me.

"Amen." The priest ended and started to sprinkle holy water on the casket of Jungkook's body. Joy made sure to pull us away from the direction of it.

"We cannot be affected by Holy water, Joy," I whispered.

"Just to be sure."

I shook my head in disbelief. Sometimes, she acts as if she isn't the most powerful half-demon living.

They finally lowered the casket to the ground and covered it with soil.

"So, that's all. I guess...Nice to meet you," Jennie offered her hand so I would shake it. I ignored it and instead, Joy took the greeting for me.

"Nice to meet you too." Joy smiled widely.

"I'll get going now," Jennie waved goodbye at us.

"Thanks for everything. It's good that you were around the area."

"Yeah."

"Bye."

Her eyes maintained on mine for a while as if trying to familiarize herself with me but I pulled my eyes away from her. I don't want to stare at her face for too long.

Joy made a sorry expression at me. "You poor being..." She brushed my back with her hand but I know this is not a gesture she's doing for kindness but a gesture she was doing to play with me.

"Shhh." I removed her hand from my back.

Joy and I were about to go when an old man appeared on our side.

"Oh...it's you two again." The familiar man said. He's wearing a suit and tie and seems to be planning on going somewhere after visiting Ruby Jane.

I gulped nervously. Of all the time, Eric, why now? Why did you have to appear now?

"Uhmmm?" Jennie tried to remember.

"It's me, Eric. Remember? Our grandmothers were friends." He pointed at Jane's tomb. "Looks like someone fixed it..."

I brushed the back of my neck. I forgot about that. I went back to fix it because I felt guilty when Jennie saw her tombstone was destroyed but not Irene's. I don't have favoritism but I also really need to check my priorities.

"Which grandmother are you talking about?" Jennie tried to look around. "I'm pretty sure no one in my family is buried here."

"Irene. Remember?" He motioned to Irene's grave who is on the other end of the cemetery.

"...Ugh...I don't think that's her...my grandmother's still alive." Jennie released an uncomfortable chuckle.

Eric frowned. "...mmm...I was sure it was you who told me that she's your grandmother. Anyway, you two...how have you been?"

"Again, what?"

"Dating or married already?" He smiled happily at me and Jennie.

Oh, Eric. You are making your own mother very confused right now. I really forgot about this guy. I thought I wouldn't see him again so I didn't bother searching for him to erase his memories.

Jennie obviously looked taken aback by that assumption. "I'm sorry...I think you are mistaken..."

"Y/n..." Joy greeted her teeth at me. "Fix this."

Instantly, I placed a hand on her forehead and my other hand on Eric's. "Joy, let's go."

She nodded.

I made Jennie and Eric forget that me and Joy ever existed in their mind. Then within seconds, we teleported back to the apartment.

"Are there other people we need to erase the memories of?" Joy glared at my eyes.

"Erm..."

"We've got her friend, her mom...that guy named Eric...who else?" She counted with her fingers.

I shook my head. "I don't think there's more."

"Make sure of that, Y/n. If the Superior finds out, we're both dead." She gracefully turned her back to me and then faced Hoseok. "Training tomorrow. Don't forget."

"Yes, ma'am," He saluted.

Joy's hair twirled a little as she move around and went to her room.

"Good afternoon?" Hoseok greeted me. He's our new receptionist that replaced Joy five years ago when she got 'promoted' to guard me. Which also makes him a five-year-old half-demon.

"Yeah." I waved my hand.

"So uhmm...I'm a new guy."

I nodded. "I'm aware of that."

He awkwardly smiled.

I took a few steps to get to the stairs when I hear him tapping his index finger on the reception table.

"Want to ask about something?"

He made a satisfied grin as if he was proud of himself that he caught my attention. "Yeah, actually."

"Go."

"Erm..."

I rolled my eyes. "Ask."

"So, how did you get to adapt to all of these so fast?" He scratched the side of his temple. "It's been quite a difficult five years for me."

"Joy. She taught me everything I know...but it took me a while...almost a decade to come to terms with this kind of existence."

He nodded. "Yeah, because my...my heart..you know...the memories..." His face flashed sadness. "It's just...when do we forget? I can't...I don't want to live with those memories forever."

"We never forget," I informed him.

He looked heartbroken. "Never?"

"We just get used to it." The pain, the flashbacks...everything. "Everything will remain as if they all just happened yesterday."

"Yikes..." he took a deep breath. "I don't think I could ever..." He chuckled sarcastically. "The way I died...it's a nightmare and...I keep relieving it in my dreams so every time I wake up it feels like I'm being pulled away from my body again..."

"How did you die?"

He smiled painfully at me. He looks young. How old is he to begin with? "Anyway," he tried to smile again. "Thank you for answering my questions. You look cool by the way."

I tipped my head. "You look...fresh..." I don't know how to compliment other people or how to talk to them. It's been a while for me, after all. Plus, with all the emotions I have right now, I don't think I could give a compliment to anyone.

EHE~ Are my chapters getting boring?🥺 I feel like they are.. I don't know how to fix it😭😭