Chapter 36 - Only you (part 3)

⚜️ Keywords ⚜️

Y/n -> your name
E/c -> eyes colour

🔱

Gild Tesoro lent you his forearm and you accepted it by forcing yourself to smile at that strange atmosphere. Meanwhile, Baccarat was already gone.

《Heh, you are breathtaking, my lady.》  Gild studied you from head to toe and focused on your particular eyes, as if he had already heard about them, during his troubled past.

Then, he took the red rose from his chest and gently handed it to you.

《A small gift for the most beautiful of roses.》

You took it with two fingers.
《I think I've already received too many gifts from you, sir.》

The other smirked behind his violet lenses, but where you could see his little eyes clearly...for some strange reason, it reminded you uncomfortably of someone else and you instinctively stepped back from him.

《I-I'm sorry, I mistaken you for someone else for a moment...》  You justified yourself with some embarrassment, but Gild didn't seem to take it and quickly retrieved your hand, this time to walk you to the table.

《Oh don't worry about that, I also thought the same thing when I saw you.》  He said all of a sudden  《If you allow me, I'll tell you a story.》

Well, it wasn't the purpose of the evening, but the king seemed to be doing everything to make you comfortable and so you let him.

《...okay.》  You answered as you sat down.

You tried to hide your left leg as much as possible because of the slit on the skirt and the man chuckled amused by your awkward ways.
He found really strange that a young woman like you was married to a scary giant like Charlotte Katakuri...compared to him, Gild knew very well that he was a perfect gentleman.

But before he got to that, he kept his promise and, during the dinner, told the story of a young prisoner girl who literally made an unfortunate young prisoner boy fall in love with her, reciprocating the same feelings...you listened interested, until you realized he was talking about himself and you wore a pained expression when he told you the girl he loved had died after being sold to a World Noble.

《...at the time, I didn't own anything of what I have now.》  He interrupted himself to take a sip of wine from his glass.

《It's not your fault, Gild-san...》  To break that sad conversation, you called him by his first name and got a slight smile from him.

《Do you know why I told you?》  Then, he put his glass down and looked you straight in the eye.  《Because you reminded me of her the first time I saw you, with that golden hair and the kind manners, just like her.》

This time, you didn't know what to answer. The fact he was seeing his first love in you made you uncomfortable, but it wasn't a bad thing...it was terrible when someone couldn't save the people they loved just because they weren't capable enough and you perceived that feeling on your skin too, a long time ago.

《But there is always light at the end of a dark corridor, don't you think Y/n...?》  You met his eyes when he also called you by name, but without any honorific.

《Of course. Sooner or later, life always offers a little happiness.》  You said taking the last bite of your plate.

《And you? Are you really happy now?》

This time, Gild rested his elbows on the table, waiting to hear what he wanted.

《Yes, I am...》  You said avoiding his gaze; you didn't want to remember the discussion you had with Katakuri.