Prologue Chapter 4: The Aftermath Part 2

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Jutsu/ Bijuu/ Summons

Flashbacks and Setting

I don't own Naruto or its characters.

Chapter 4: The Aftermath Part 2

Naruto was a changed person after that fateful council meeting. He knew there was no one he could rely on, and he was the only person his baby sister could rely on. He also remembered how the council said he'd have to come of age, or become a Chunin to gain sole custody of his sister. The blonde boy realized he'd have to become strong, and quickly too. A heavy burden was placed on his small shoulders, but he'd keep his promise to his parents no matter what. Narumi was going to grow up safely, and if people wanted to get in the way, they'd have to face his wrath.

The village needed more shinobi as soon as possible, so the academy was at the top of the list for emergency repair funding. As such, the academy was back to a semi-functional state by the end of the month. Despite living in makeshift tents or hastily patched up shells of their former homes, parents were happy at the academy's recommencement. They needed to get their kids out of their hair and occupy them while they worked on rebuilding.

As for Naruto and Narumi, they were placed at an orphanage, as their home had caught fire in the Kyuubi's attack. It made Naruto's secret possession of their clan's treasured sealing techniques and artifacts, as well as the scroll of seals, easier to cover up. The council tried to gain the Yondaime's scrolls on techniques and sealing for the village, but were unable to find anything other than ashes.

They were still able to squeeze something out of the 2 children however. Custody of the children of the Yondaime meant they had control over their finances as well. The Namikaze-Uzumaki family had an enormous fortune, from Minato's many S-rank missions and Hokage's pay, and Kushina's inheritance from the Uzumaki Clan. They weren't as rich as some of the bigger clans like the Hyuuga Clan, but as individuals, they were amongst the top 5 richest in the village.

Now the council wasn't necessarily full of evil people who loved to extort helpless children. They were no Gato. However, the village was strapped for cash, and people were suffering from the damages. People slept in makeshift tents, which formed slums, and access to clean water was limited as well. The damages to the economic engines of the village meant people had less jobs, less money, and as a result, less patience and fortitude to deal with the stress.

The crime rates soared, and the Uchiha Military Police Force was stretched thin trying to contain the rise in crimes, while still trying to do missions do make money for the village.

With such dire circumstances, the council was desperate for more money. It just so happened they had access to one of the biggest fortunes in Hi no Kuni (Land of Fire). It's not like they immediately rushed to that source of Ryo either. They actually left it alone for a couple months. However, when things were looking so bad, they couldn't help but turn their eyes to the Namikaze-Uzumaki inheritance. The needs of 2 kids couldn't stack up against the needs of the entire village. Besides, 2 kids couldn't possibly need that much money. At least that's what they told themselves.

But they never dipped into their own funds. After all, they would need that money to take care of their own families.

The quality of life for Naruto and Narumi took a quick turn for the worse once the village started quietly dipping into their inheritance. Their food and clothes slowly declined in quality, until it finally became the standard drab clothing, barely a step above rags, that was supplied to orphans or homeless people.