Asil Agriche x Gn!Reader | Soulmate AU (1/?)

"Once upon a time, a cat named fate rolled out a ball of red string. . ." (y/n) sighed as (he/she/they) listen to their grandmother retelling the story of two lovers connected by a string.

"It was endless but were divided into millions of thread that connects a person to another. . .the person at the end of the line is your soulmate. The person that the universe chose to be the one for you. People said that if you find that person on the end of your string, you will feel like a void somewhere in your soul has been restored. . .the feeling of  completeness."  (he/she/they) could not help but let out a yawn but keep their eyes open and listen to the old woman. (He/she/they) liked her stories as a young (lass/lad) after all, but it's just hard to like those stories anymore especially with the happy endings. Not everything ends with a happy ending, sometimes stories (love stories) do not even reach the ending. . .in a few cases, some don't even give the chance to start.

"Not many people have been blessed to have a red string attached to them, in fact, it rarely occurred that people believe it was only a myth." (y/n) kept (his/her/their) mouth shut instead of mumbling 'because it is a myth'. Pretty sure that disagreeing with the old lady would just lead to an argument.

"But it isn't. Because I got mine when I turned 18. I was so happy back then." (y/n)'s eyes went wide. Surely the grandmother is joking? There is no way.

The grandmother did not finish the story because (y/n) has to leave, and so the grandmother was all alone again. (Y/n) is kind of disappointed. Even though she knew that the old lady's memory might be rusty or lying heck even mixing reality and fiction. . .(he/she/they) wanted to hear the story.

Too bad (he/she/they) wouldn't know the rest of it as the grandmother died just a few days after (y/n) visited.

(Y/n) was awoken by a loud banging on the door. "(Y/n) dear, Estelle is here!" (y/n)'s mom shouted from outside (his/her/their) room. The sleep-deprived breathing mess grunted and buried their face into the soft pillows, not considering getting up this early in the morning. 10: 00 is early for (y/n) (l/n).

"(Y/N) (M/N) (L/N)! If you don't get your ass down here right now I will skin you alive, take out your gut and throw it in the sea while I dump your body in the sewers to leave for the rats!!!" (y/n) jolted.

"What the fuck? Man, this family is full of psychopaths." the youngster mumbled. "I'm coming so you won't have to do that!"

"Happy Birthday Bestie!!!" (he/she/they) were greeted by their best friend, Estelle Sanchez, she's from Spain and just having a vacation with her family in (hometown) just like every year.

"It's not my birthday yet, it's exactly at 11: 59, right before midnight." Estelle scoffed "It doesn't matter. I'll give you your presents in advance!" she said in a cheery tone as she holds up a paper bag in her right hand and a book on the left. "You didn't have to get me anything, just your mere presence is enough."

"Awwww. Nonsense! You're my best friend so I should at least give you something! Birthdays are only once a year! It's something special!" she said. "Of course it's only once a year, you can't be born twice. And it's not that special, just a reminder that your getting older and getting closer to death." Estelle hit (y/n) on the back of (his/her/their) neck, (y/n) hissed in pain.

"You just got here and you already landed a hit on me? And on my birthday? Get away from me you vile woman!" the two could hear (y/n)'s mother chuckling in the kitchen.

"I do appreciate the gifts tho and you personally coming here. So I guess birthdays aren't all that bad." (y/n) uttered in a barely audible voice but Estelle heard it as clear as water and as loud as a man crying for his life in an apartment on fire. . .but superman saved him and he didn't die so don't worry.

"Well what do you suppose we'd do? Since you're here and everything?" (y/n) asked. "Take a look at the gifts first will you?"

"I told you. . . it's not my birthday yet." Estelle pouted and huffed but leaves the gifts on the table and followed (y/n) to (his/her/their) room to watch a movie or play video games or whatever.

The day ended too quickly for (y/n)'s liking. It was now the middle of the night and (he/she/they) were staring blankly in a large wall clock displayed in (his/her/their) messy (it looks like a typhoon just passed) looking room. (Y/n) is sleepy but their eyes won't close for some unknown reason, maybe it's their body or mind telling them to stay awake for their birthday.

11 : 57. . .

11 : 58. . .

11 : 59. . .

"Happy Birthday to myself I guess." (he/she/they) uttered before dramatically falling on the bed and instantly falling asleep. Completely unaware of a string suddenly appearing on their right wrist.

———

I don't know. I'll separate this one if it would be too long. I just don't know what to write next lol.