➤ ➤ ➤ ACTION / ADVENTURE

Battles and SecretsVictoriaLachac

Battles and Secrets
VictoriaLachac

89 / 100

Wow! This story has action levels near the top! Each chapter has a central development that makes me read on. And I love that Eva has family problems that are at the same height as her existential problems. Pirate life is difficult and the first chapters show it.

I love Eva and her family, and I absolutely hate Dirk with a burning passion after what he did in Chapter 5. I cannot imagine what he was like in the first book, but I am very surprised that someone like Eva lasted four years with him. She has a belly of steel to tolerate him. I am guessing that he has some redeeming character trait that trumps everything else. Eva's voice is so clear, and I love how it's written so that her happy spirit permeates even the tragic and frightening parts of the story. She is such a lovable character that the writing style feels natural as if she is having a conversation with the reader. It makes me wish that this was an audiobook.

This was a rollicking ride for me: I loved the characters, the world they live in, and the mountain of problems getting bigger for Eva. I think that I need to read Book One to find out how Eva got into this situation. The thing that I love most is Eva herself - she is one of those extraordinary characters with a huge heart!

 The thing that I love most is Eva herself - she is one of those extraordinary characters with a huge heart!

Predatory
JLAnderson0713

89 / 100

I really enjoyed reading this! The characters are so well-painted and vibrant on the page, and the plot is highly original. I am keen to see what happens, and what the clash between WASP and the pack looks like! I was a little unsure about Sasha herself; she is the narrator but is not in the story much. She has such a wonderful set of skills and gifts but they are not really commented on, as if she is observing the action but not really feeling her part in it. I'd love to know more about her and see her feelings about what happened to her family and how deep her paradoxical membership of WASP affects her.