A New Beginning

Mikael grimaced at the excessive crying that came from the forest. The cries had been going on and off since the sun came up. Mikael had grown sick of it. Standing up with a sword on his side, Mikael took it upon himself to find where the crying was coming from. As he got closer to the cries of the child, a feeling of wrongness hit him, causing his hand to go to his sword. He was prepared if anything were to happen.

His steps faltered as he caught sight of the horrific scene that had taken place in the forest. Blood covered the snow where two lifeless bodies lay; a wooden basket had been placed off to the side. Mikael approached the basket as the baby's cries came to a pause. Something about the way the child looked at him brought joy in his heart. Its eyes held a kind of fire to it, there was no doubt in his mind that this child was a fighter. Mikael picked the basket up, ignoring the blood that had made its way on the outside of it, and began to walk home.

Ester called Finn, Elijah, and Niklaus to the table as she sat Kol in his chair. Finn, Elijah, and Niklaus quickly make their way to the table and sat in their assigned seats. Esther places the food on the table and sits down.

"Mother," Finn calls out.

"Yes?" Esther asks, looking at Finn.

"Where is Father?" Finn asks.

As if on cue Mikael walks into the house carrying a basket. Esther's eyes widen when she sees the basket.

"Finn, Elijah, go to your rooms. Take Niklaus and Kol with you," Esther says, watching as Finn and Elijah scramble out of their seats.

Once the kids are out of the room Esther slightly relaxes.

"Mikael?" Esther questioned, eying the blood on the basket.

"I found the child in the forest, it seems that its parents were killed," Mikael explains.

This was unlike Mikael, he wasn't the type to go out saving babies. Esther knew of his cruelness.

"I see," Esther says as she approaches the baby.

Esther could practically feel the overwhelming magic flowing from the baby. Esther places her hand on the baby's forehead and pauses.

"The child is freezing Mikael! How long has she been out there?" Esther asks as she picks the sleeping baby up.

"A few hours," Mikael informs.

"It is a miracle this child is still breathing. Hurry go fetch some blankets," Esther demanded.

Esther picked up the blanket that lay in the basket as Mikael went off to do what was asked of him.

"Elliana," Esther said as she read the name that had been sewed onto the blanket.

"Elliana," Mikael repeats as he hands her the blankets.

Esther looks at her husband who had a genuine smile on his face.

Perhaps there was some hope for Niklaus after all.

"We will call her Elena, just in case someone does come looking for this child one day," Esther says.

"Very well then, from this day on you will be Elena Mikaelson," Mikael says softly as he speaks to the sleeping baby.

Esther had never seen Mikael be so gentle with a baby that wasn't Freya. Mikael had been somewhat loving towards Finn, dismissive of Elijah, and it only got worse for Niklaus and Kol, although Kol had it easier than Niklaus. Esther sees the way Mikael looks at Niklaus - only hatred for the boy who is only four years old - but with Elena, all she sees is love in Mikael's eyes. Maybe Elena is just what this family needs. She will never be Freya, that Esther knows, but she could help them heal after the loss of Freya.

Esther calls Finn and Elijah back into the room, with them comes Niklaus.

"Finn, Elijah, Niklaus, meet your new baby sister, Elena Mikaelson," Esther says as she gets to their level with Elena in her arms.

Finn looks between the baby and his mother with a frown. Elijah smiles as he watches the baby sleep. Niklaus only looked at the baby curiously.

"Kol is sleeping, mother, would you like me to wake him for dinner?" Finn asked.

With a nod from his mother, Finn went to wake Kol up. Dinner was eaten in silence until Finn decided to speak his thoughts.

"Mother," Finn spoke up.

"Yes, Finn?" Esther says, sitting down her drink.

"Where did that baby come from? She is not our blood. Why do you call her a Mikaelson? She is not a part of this family, Mother. Are you trying to replace Freya?" Finn asks, anger clear in his voice.

"Watch your tongue, boy," Mikael says harshly, causing Finn to sightly flinch.

"Elena is not your blood, but that does not mean she is not a Mikaelson. Me and your father brought her into this family. Do you understand what that means Finn?" Esther asks as she waits patiently for his response.

"No, Mother," Finn says, ashamed.

"It means that she is still your sister, blood or not," Esther explains.

"I understand, Mother. I am sorry," Finn says.

"Go to your room, Finn," Esther instructs.

With a nod, Finn stands up and begins to walk towards his room.

"Finn," Esther calls out.

"Yes, Mother?" Finn says as he stops walking.

"No one could ever replace Freya," Esther tells him.

A small sad smile appears on Finn's face as he nods and walks to his room.

Authors note:  Hey everyone, I've been wanting to do this story for a very long time now and I have finally decided to do it! If there is any confusion in age I will clear it up right now, so Finn is 11 years old, Elijah is 7, Klaus is 4, and Kol is 11 months. Elena will definitely change some things later in the story and cause some conflict within the timeline. Oh and don't worry Rebekah and Henrik will be here shortly!