Chapter 13

It has been a week since Henrik's death, and I believe my family is at its breaking point. Rebekah tries to pretend like she's completely fine, but I hear how she cries in her room at night when she assumes everyone is asleep. As much as I want to comfort her, I can't bring myself to do it. Elena hasn't woken up since Tatia and Lilith found her. I can see it in Mother's eyes every time she leaves Elena's room. She fears Elena may never wake up. Father stays in Elena's room whenever he gets the chance. Sometimes I hear him whispering things to her, begging her to wake up.

Kol blames Niklaus for Henrik's death, and honestly, I think somewhere deep down, I also blame Niklaus. He shouldn't have taken Henrik to watch the wolves, but I know it was not Niklaus's intention to get Henrik killed. After many arguments between Kol and Niklaus, Kol moved into Finn's room. Niklaus refuses to leave our room, not even for supper. He doesn't need to say it. I know he blames himself for everything that took place that night.

Finn seems to stay at Mother's side, doing everything she asks of him. Although he seems calm and put together, I can still see how Henrik's death and Elena's state are affecting him.

"Elijah." Finn says, before opening the door.

Elijah stops writing and looks up at his door.

"Taita is here. She wants to speak to you."

"Tell her I am sleeping."

"In the middle of the day? Do you take me for a fool?" Tatia questions.

Elijah pauses. He had been avoiding her ever since she had informed them of what happened to Elena. His eyes move to Niklaus, who was sitting down with his knees in his arms, facing a corner. Elijah releases a sigh before leading Tatia outside of the house.

"You wish to speak to me?"

***

(1 week later)

Salty tears drip down her face as she strokes Elena's hair, gaining little comfort from the weight of Elena's head on her lap.

"I'm sorry, I–" she whispers before shaking her head.

"This wasn't supposed to happen–They told me–"

Lilith sucks in a deep breath, wiping the tears off her face.

"You're going to be–You have to be okay."

"I never meant to hurt you, not even on the night that Marcus died. I–"

Lilith pauses as the door creaks open.

"You open doors now?" Lilith questions.

A playful smirk appears on the boy's face.

"Only when it is necessary."

Only for her.

"Why are you here, Seven?"

"Careful, Lilith, you may just lose that pretty mouth of yours."

Seven laughs as Lilith's body goes tense.