Chapter 10

Elena sat on the cave's floor as she watched her family carve their names into the rocky wall. Mikeal went first, carving his name before carving Esther's and Henrik's. The carving knife then went to Finn, who passed it to Elijah, who passed it to Klaus, who passed it to Kol.

When Rebekah tried to get the carving knife, she was stopped by Mikael.

"Wielding a blade is a man's duty," Mikael said sternly.

Elena quickly made her way to Rebekah, leading her away before she could do anything that could get her in trouble.

"We shall carve our name when no one is watching,"

Elena's voice came out so quiet that Rebekah almost missed it. A smile appeared on Rebekah's face as she nodded her head.

That night, Henrik and Niklaus didn't go out to see the wolves. In fact, they haven't snuck out since the full moon 4 months ago. She wondered why they had stopped going to see the wolves so often.

The night was a cold one, which was to be expected since it was winter.

Elena never liked the cold, it always reminded her of death.

She wondered if the feeling was connected to the snowy day that Mikael found her. That day death had surrounded her, and according to the boy, it was her fault.

As Elena laid down, looking at the top of the cave, sadness filled her.

In a week, Lilith and Noah were both leaving the village.

Lilith would be giving birth in less than a month, so she wanted to leave as soon as possible.

She wondered if Lilith would go through with her plan to fake her baby's death.

She knows she should tell Noah of Lilith's plans, but telling Noah meant betraying Lilith.

That's something she could never do.

No matter what happened, she refused to betray Lilith.

Slowly, her thoughts began to fade away as she slipped into a peaceful sleep.

Mikael was the one to wake Elena up in the morning. She must've slept for a long period of time because the rest of her family were no longer in the cave.

"You have not gone hunting in quite some time,"

Elena looked up at Mikael, who wore a smile that didn't meet his eyes.

It was Mikael's way of inviting her to join him.

"I thought wielding a blade was a man's burden,"

His eyes softened for a moment as he regarded her comment.

"Rebekah isn't as strong as you. She would get hurt,"

"That is where you are wrong, Father,"

A series of emotions flashed on Mikael's face, lingering on one that didn't quite make sense to Elena. Before anything else could be said, Mikael stormed off.