Brothers in Arms

Elena held Mikael's hand with a smile on her face as they strolled through the forest. Mikael had grown rather fond of Elena, he spent more time with her than any of his other children. Elena brought light into his heart, the very light that died the day he learned of Freya's death.

"Father," Elena says as she stops walking.

"Yes, Elena," Mikael responded, waiting for her response.

"I wish to go hunting. It is not fair that the boys get to do it and I do not!" Elena says with a pout.

"That is because one day they will grow up to protect you and your sister, Elena," Mikael explains as he gets to her level, holding both of her hands.

"I want to protect myself!" Elena protested, her brunette hair and light blue dress flowing as the wind hit it.

Mikael chuckled, it was light and genuine. There was that fire in Elena's eyes again, the fire that he adored.

"Perhaps I will let you when you are older," Mikael says as he stands up.

"Father, I am eight years old," Elena informed with a frown on her face.

"You can start next summer," Mikael says.

It was enough to bring a smile to her face.

"Thank you, Father," Elena says happily.

"Speak of this to no one," Mikael instructs as a smile appears on his face.

Elena nods her head as determination fills her eyes.

"Father!" Finn shouts as he quickly approaches them.

Mikael's smile quickly disappears and is replaced by a look of disgust.

"What is it, child?" Mikael asks, his voice cruel and demanding.

"Mother requests your presence, she says it's important," Finn says in a hushed voice.

Mikael stays in his position, unwilling to move.

"I will walk Elena home," Finn informs.

Mikael scoffs before walking the path that leads to the house.

Finn holds his hand out towards Elena.

"Let us go home, little Sister," Finn says.

Elena only stares at him before she shakes her head. Finn frowns as the brunette sits down against a tree.

"The forest is no place for a child," Finn said disapprovingly, shaking his head.

"I disagree," Elena says stubbornly as she twists the small golden bracelet on her wrist.

Finn sighs and sits next to her, knowing she wouldn't leave any time soon.

"What is that?" Finn asks, looking at her bracelet.

"Mother calls it a bracelet. She tells me to never take it off. It will protect me from evil!" Elena exclaims as if she's fascinated with every word that comes out of her mouth.