Chapter 11

Ayana sat in the kitchen with Esther as they discussed something Elena couldn't quite make out.

Elena swallowed hard as she attempted to ignore Ayana's presence. She had officially given up magic 3 years ago, and she couldn't bring herself to face Ayana.

It had been 5 years since she had lost her ability to do magic.

Ayana seemed to believe that Elena could get her magic back, and yet Elena had a hard time believing.

At least that's what she told herself...

In truth, Elena was afraid of her magic, not that she would admit it to anybody. The very thought of her fear brings her back to that snowy night 5 years ago.

The night that she had ended someone's life.

"If that is all..." Ayana said before standing up.

Elena quickly turned her head towards the wall, feeling uneasy when she felt their eyes on her.

"Yes, that is all. Thank you, Ayana,"

Once the door closed, Elena's eyes fell to her golden bracelet. She was thankful that her mother had created it.

If Esther had not made it, Elena couldn't imagine the amount of destruction that she would have caused.

"You can not spend the rest of your life hiding,"

Elena looked up at her mother.

"What are you talking about, Mother?"

"You are afraid of something,"

"That is not-"

"Elena, do not lie to your mother. If you were not afraid, you would not be wearing that bracelet,"

Elena instinctively moved her hand towards the golden bracelet.

"Mother, I-"

"We all make mistakes, but it is our duty to fix those mistakes in any way we can,"

"What if this mistake can not be fixed?"

"Then you must try to make up for it,"

"Thank you, Mother,"

Esther only smiled at her before Henrik came running inside, with Niklaus right behind him.

Henrik was always at Niklaus and Rebekah's side. Elena was close with Henrik, but she knew Rebekah and Niklaus were closer.

"Sister!" Henrik exclaimed as he ran towards Elena.

"No running in the house!" Esther scolded.

"Yes, Mother," Henrik sighs as he quickly walks towards Elena.

As soon as he reaches Elena, he pulls her into a hug.

"Guess what me and Niklaus just found!" Henrik instructed excitedly.

She couldn't believe he was already 12 years old, it was just yesterday when he had climbed into her bed unable to sleep due to nightmares.