Chapter 17

It has been a week since Elena learned about the death of our youngest brother, Henrik, and finally, it seems as if everything is going back to the way it was– well, as close as it can get.

Niklaus seems to be getting better since his talk with Elena, though none of us know what the two spoke about. I can see in his eyes that he is still grieving. I fear he will never truly stop blaming himself for Henrik's death.

Ever since Elena woke up, she's been trying to help Niklaus past Henrik's death. I can not help but worry about her. She does not seem like herself at times; perhaps it is Henrik's death weighing on her... or something else entirely?

Mother and Father have been leaving the house more often. They spent most of the week leaving the house together and coming home with determined looks on their faces.

Rebekah had followed them once, to Ayana's home, but when I confronted her she denied that she had ever snuck out. It seems like mother and father are hiding something... not even Tatia would admit what she and my mother had spoken about in private.

Elijah pauses as the door creaks open.

"Mother says we are to have dinner as a family tonight." Finn announces.

Elijah nods his head and looks back at the paper. A minute goes by, causing Elijah to frown.

The door had not closed.

Elijah looks back up, causing Finn to startle.

"I–"

Finn paused, looking behind him before stepping into the room and closing the door.

Elijah sets down his quill, careful not to get ink on the papyrus.

"It's Elena... you must have noticed by now."

"That something is wrong with our sister?"

Finn lets out a sigh.

"Yes."

"Do you know what–"

"Listen, brother, I am going to be leaving soon–"

"Leaving? Where are you going?"

To find Freya.

"It does not matter, but I need you to do something important. Not only for me but for Elena. Can I trust you, brother?"

"Yes."

Finn begins to say something when the door swings open. Niklaus looks confused for a moment, it was a shock to see Finn spending time with anyone other than their mother and Elena.

"Brothers," Niklaus says, stepping into the room.

"Niklaus, has Finn told you? We are to be having dinner as a family tonight."

"Yes, he has." Niklaus comments dryly.

Elijah narrows his eyes at the black rose in Niklaus's hand.

"Did Elena make that?" Elijah asks.

Niklaus pauses, before turning around.

"No, she– we went to get them... It is the last thing Henrik gave her." Niklaus swallows, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh," Elijah says.

"You must have gone a long way for those flowers." Finn comments.

Niklaus doesn't respond; the last thing he needed was for Finn to run and tell their Mother.

"Where's Elena?" Elijah asks.

Niklaus narrows his eyes at Elijah, before shaking his head.

"She went off with Lilith."

"I thought she despised Lilith?"

"She does– why do you keep asking questions about Elena?"

Elijah glanced at Finn before sighing.

"I'm just worried about her."

"There's nothing to worry about, brother."

The boys snap their heads toward the door, startled to hear Elena's voice.

"Elena I–"

"It's okay, I am not upset at you for worrying about me. It is your duty as my brother, after all... Oh, Mother wanted me to tell you that dinner is ready."

Elijah nods his head and hurries out of the room, taking Niklaus with him.

"Elena." Finn calls out when Elena turns to leave the room.

"Yes?"

"You're not okay, are you?"

Elena slowly turns her head towards him, a tight smile on her lips.

"No."