Chapter 12

Rebekah stands near Ayana's window, admiring one of the many necklaces dangling down.

She didn't come to Ayana's home just to admire necklaces, as beautiful as they were.

She was sure Ayana had to know it too. Otherwise, Ayana would've sent her home as soon as she learned her parents weren't aware of where she was. After all, she had woken up in the cave and immediately made her way towards Ayana's home.

Surely, her family would be concerned.

As many times as Henrik and Niklaus were nowhere to be found in the mornings, one would think it would not matter much when Rebekah did it.

That person would be sorely mistaken.

Rebekah releases a sigh and reaches for a familiar silver necklace that holds a small round ruby.

She had wondered what about the necklace had caused her sister to scribble countless images of it in her grimoire.

The thought of Elena's grimoire brings a frown to her face.

She shouldn't have come here, no matter how tempting it was to tell Ayana everything she learned from Elena's writings.

The words are far too private for anyone other than Elena to speak.

This was a mistake... wasn't it?

What if Ayana was the key to getting Elena's magic back?

At the pain in her hand, Rebekah quickly snatches her hand away from the necklace. Shock took over her features.

"Ayana, you burned me,"

Ayana shoots her a knowing look.

"That is not yours to touch,"

Silence fills the room as they stare at each other.

"Ayana, I need to speak to you about-" her words cut off by a scream.

"Mother!" the voice called out.

"Is that Niklaus?" Rebekah questions, looking out the window.

"Something's wrong," Rebekah says, quickly gathering her dress before running out of Ayana's home.

A gasp escapes her mouth as her eyes land on Henrik.

"Henrik!" Rebekah exclaims as she hurries towards them.

"Mother!" Niklaus yells again, putting the bloody boy in his arms onto the ground.

Rebekah stares in horror at the scene before her.

It isn't real; it can't be.

"Henrik! No! No! What happened?" Esther asks as she drops to the ground.

"The wolves- they- I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Niklaus sobs.

"We must save him, Ayana please-" Esther begs.

"Esther-"

"No, Ayana! I can not lose another child; there must be a way to save him!"