Chapter 19

"You're a monster!" A voice screams, jolting her from the peace death had brought her, and suddenly she's back to that snowy night. She watches the scene take place from afar. The moon had been shining bright that night, though it had not been full. Snow covered every inch of the forest leaving no spot untouched; the snow should've been her first sign that death was near.

Lilith and Marcus were embracing one another on the forest floor, unaware of Elena's footsteps heading in their direction. At least, that's what she believed before Lilith's confessed everything while they hid the body with Nora tagging along. The confession that she knew Elena was going to be there that night... that she knew they were going to be caught.

When Elena had gotten close enough to see them, her best friend and her boyfriend connected in a passionate kiss, she had frozen. Her heart went fiery hot with anger and betrayal at the sight. It took a moment for them to notice her, standing there with tears in her eyes, her body shaking uncontrollably. Marcus was the first to move, shoving Lilith aside with wide eyes. He had started to speak, but she was far too gone to hear a word he said.

Even watching the memory from afar, she could feel her own magic building towards destruction, then suddenly everything went black.

A sharp breath filled the room as Elena's eyes flew open. Her heart raced as she lifted herself to a sitting position, her eyes frantically scanning the room. She was alone, and for the first time, it scared her. How had she survived? Are her siblings okay? What happened after...

The door opens abruptly, Mikael walking in with a girl whose face was so familiar, and yet Elena couldn't place who she was over the smell that filled the air. Her head went fuzzy as Mikael shoved the girl in front of Elena and commanded her to drink. The girl, now on the floor, looked at Elena with fear in her eyes, blood dripping down from her arm as Mikael watched from the door.

Elena moves towards her carefully and slowly as a predator would to its prey, her eyes on the black-haired girl's blood. The girl looks relieved when Elena's close to her, a sigh escaping her mouth. The girl's mouth opens, but her words fall deaf on Elena's ears as Elena picks up her arm. The girl tenses when Elena brings her mouth down to the girl's arm, allowing the blood to flow into her mouth.

What was once a taste became a desire. Elena couldn't stop drinking, not when her gums began to hurt, and certainly not when the girl began to fight back. Elena had pinned her limbs to the floor, taking more blood from the girl than she needed. It was only when Mikael had pulled Elena back did she let go of the girl.

It took a moment for Elena to center herself, the blood sending her head rushing. She looked at her father first, then back at the girl. Recognition struck her, the girl she hadn't been able to identify.

"Nora," Her voice comes out as a shaky whisper, "What have I done?"

"You're becoming stronger," Mikael says with pride.

Mikael's words leave Elena with a sick feeling, if this is what being strong is, she wants nothing to do with it. Nora's body is on the floor, her body unmoving and if it weren't for her labored breaths Elena would think she was dead. Elena moves toward Nora in a hurry, Mikael must have known her intentions because he quickly grabbed her.

"Mercy is for the weak!"

His shouting caused Elena to flinch, her ears ringing from the volume.

"Nora is my friend, I will not let her die."

"You're weak," Mikael says with wide eyes, "Those children you call friends... You will kill her or I will kill you."

Elena looks back at Nora before her eyes harden, turning to face Mikael.

"Then you will kill me."

Anger fills Mikael as his hand connects with Elena's face. Pushing her aside, Mikael draws his knife. He turns his head, his eyes connecting with hers.

"Then you shall watch as I kill your friend."

Elena's blood runs cold at his words. Before she could even move, Mikael drives his knife into Nora's neck. Shock stuns her, and has her frozen in place until her emotions hit. It was sudden and powerful. The lingering guilt that she can't seem to shake, the anger at Mikael, and the feeling of hopelessness from being unable to save the people she loves overwhelmed her. The golden bracelet breaks as her scream filled the room.

She rushes at Mikael, unaware of how the room rumbles, how the fire becomes brighter, and how items seem to be flying across the room. Mikael drops to the ground in pain, but Elena doesn't seem to notice or care as she pushes him against the wall, her vampire features visible as she wraps her hands around his neck. Before Mikael can attempt to fight back Elena collapses to the ground, Esther and Amara standing above her.

"The two of you have created monsters, may God have mercy on their souls."

Elena wakes up in her bedroom with Ayana by her side and a hunger that is ignored.

"I do not understand how you possess your magic, but you have lost control of it," Ayana began before presenting her two options.

The first was training while the second was a stronger bracelet.

She picks both.

Ayana pulls out the new bracelet, ensuring her that it is stronger than the last. They were to meet near the river at nightfall, due to Rebekah's discovery of the damage the sun can do. She was sleeping longer than she had thought. Ayana refused to tell her much about her siblings, but Elena was good at making Ayana talk.

Tatia had been killed by Esther, and the werewolves in town had been slaughtered by Mikael after the discovery that Mikael was not Niklaus's father. Vervain now burned to the touch, Neighbors could keep you out of their homes, and the tree that had given them life could take it away. They had burned it to the ground while she was sleeping. The blood lust, though, was something she learned on her own. 

She puts on the golden bracelet, which looks more like a rope, before setting off to find Niklaus.