A Family Squabble

Year 1002

Elena watches her siblings from the woods of the forest, her clothes and face stained with the blood of the poor fool who tried to get away. Those are the ones she loves the most, a game of cat and mouse, in which she's the hunter and they the prey.

"Who's ready for the next course?" Kol laughs as he passes Niklaus.

"You're all filthy gluttons," Finn states with a disgusted tone they'd all grown used to.

"And you remain ever the dullard." Kol shoots back, making Elena's lips pull up into a small smirk.

"Such pretty clothes... What a shame they will go to waste," Rebekah comments, clearly oblivious to the current conversation between her brothers. It prickles Elena with worry, the way Rebekah longs for a normal human life. While Elena suspects that the others have picked up on it, she's not sure they know the extent Rebekah would go. It will surely be the death of her.

"Rebekah we have discussed this," Elijah sighs, and suddenly Elena's glad she chose to wait rather than return to the group.

"No, you have discussed this! None of us had any say in the matter. This lot was traveling somewhere, their cart is full of silks and finery. Six of them, six of us. Wherever they were off to why can we not simply go in their stead."

It's a foolish idea, yet Elena suspects that they could get away with it.

"Masquerade as nobles from a land we do not know, whose customs we cannot begin to understand? Ridiculous." Elijah reasons.

"We saw the castle down the road, it was practically a gala! This bunch was headed there... Look at them, they're not any better than we are. We could live as they do, at least for a time. Think of it, Elijah... We could hide in plain sight, we could live ordinary lives–"

"Silence," Elijah commands before silently walking towards the carriage, Finn, Niklaus, and Kol following behind him. Elena's eyes light up, knowing that Elijah has finally caught onto the human that still lies hidden in the carriage.

Elijah swiftly pulls a piece of fabric off the carriage, revealing a young male with long brown hair. He's quick to run, stumbling to the ground when Rebekah appears in front of him.

"Well aren't you a handsome one?" Rebekah comments.

"He looks like dessert to me," Kol remarks.

"Wait! Wait! Wait! I can help you. I am- I am the personal servant to the Count de Martel of the very estate you just mentioned! I was- I was sent to escort these guests to his home for a lengthy stay... I know their customs as well as the Count's habits. If you mean to pose as the family you have slaughtered here, then you'll need my help to carry out your ruse."

"Please, can we keep him?" Rebekah requests.

Elena figures this is the best time to get ready to make her appearance, rushing off to the nearby pond to clean herself up.

After all, their Mother often said that first impressions are always the most important.

"Rebekah, no. What is our most important rule?" Elijah questions.