Chapter 20

Elena's steps slowed at the sound of Niklaus's laughter. She was under the assumption that he'd be upset that a piece of him had been ripped away, but here he was laughing. Anger boiled in her veins as she took a step closer. The anger was unlike anything she had ever felt before, it was more intense like a raging fire.

"Elena?"

Finn's low voice startled her, his presence seemed to wash the anger away. His face was scrunched up as he took in her appearance.

"What is wrong?" Finn questioned.

"What is right, brother? We died, and yet we are still alive."

Finn hesitates before putting a hand on Elena's shoulder.

"I heard what happened with Nora, you should not have had to go through that. Father-"

Elena turns her head away, the guilt practically eating her alive as she fights the tears that threaten to fall.

"It is not the first time I have killed someone I care about, it seems that I can not stop hurting the ones I love."

Her voice comes out as a whisper, not that it makes any difference to Finn. Finn's eyes widen in shock, taking a moment to process the information.

"Marcus?"

Elena breathes shakily as she nods her head. Finn looks at her once more, a constant war going on in his head between judging her and comforting her.

In the end, he walks to his room without another word.

Elena watches him go as her heart shatters. Tears slide down her cheeks as she slides down the wall, letting her emotions consume her. She hated crying, Mikael had always said crying makes you weak, and weak is something she can not be. Mikael saw something in her when she was a child; she did not want to disappoint him, though she had probably done that far too many times. She didn't want to disappoint her family, she couldn't. They had taken her in when she could have died, she at least owes them her protection.

Bawling her fists, she revels in the distraction of her nails biting into her skin, before wiping her face. She had to be strong to protect the ones she loved, Mikael was right. Marcus died because she couldn't control her powers and Henrik– Elena swallowed thickly. Never again will she let something like that happen. Lifting her head, she plastered a smile on her face. Finn already saw her as a monster, she knew it even before he walked away. Perhaps a monster was what she needed to be behind the mask she wears.

Authors note: Hey everyone! I'm backkkk, I know this is a short chapter but I can tell you that more is coming very soon!