𝟎𝟐𝟏. the date

───── ❝ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞 ❞ ─────

───── 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞 ─────

{THIRD PERSON POV}

Back in Auradon, Melanie and Evelyn were having their picnic date.

"Would you like a hot hors d'oeuvre?" Evelyn asked Melanie as she held one out.

"Yes, please," Melanie said, leaning forward as Evelyn fed her, "Mm, this is the best thing I've ever had."

"You like it?" Evelyn asked Melanie.

"I more than like it," Melanie told Evelyn as she grabbed another one, "I double like it," They both laughed, "This is amazing."

"Did I surprise you?" Evelyn asked Melanie.

"Oh, yeah, you surprised me," Melanie told Evelyn, "This is literally one of the best foods I've ever eaten. What it only took you three days?"

"Uh, you know, don't even ask me," Evelyn laughed.

"Yeah, well, it means a lot that you stopped and did all this for me," Melanie told Evelyn, "Especially with all the craziness you've been put through. I've missed you," Melanie slowly started to stroke Evelyn's cheek, "We don't get much time to be just us anymore."

"I know," Evelyn said before wiping some food off of Melanie's face as they laughed.

"You can't take me anywhere, right?" Melanie jokes as Evelyn chuckled, "Do you have a napkin or something?"

"I do. I packed some," Evelyn told Melanie as Melanie reached to look in the basket, "I think, I stowed them away," Evelyn tried to stop Melanie from reaching in the basket, "I can grab them."

"What's this?" Melanie asked Evelyn as she pulled Mal's spell book.

"Uh, I think Mal accidentally put it in or..." Evelyn lied as Melanie opened the spell book.

"Speed reading spell," Melanie read aloud before flipping to a page, "Power-transfer spell," then flipped to another page, "Brown hair spell," Then Melanie flipped to a page which caused her to look at Evelyn in shock, "...Cooking spell," She closed the spell book, "And I was giving you props for fitting in so well. For doing your best."

"Take back this moment that has passed, return it-" Evelyn paused, "Reverse it."

"Are you trying to spell me right now?" Melanie asked, angrily as she stood up.

"Mel, it's just been so hard," Evelyn tried to defend herself.

"Yeah, some things are hard," Melanie's voice slightly rose to anger, "Do you think learning to be a royal adviser has been easy for me?"

"No, I just-" Evelyn exclaimed.

"I thought we were doing this together," Melanie reminded Evelyn.

"Mel, we are in this together," Evelyn assured Melanie as she stood up from the table.

"But we're not, Evelyn. We're not," Melanie told Evelyn, "Y-you've been keeping secrets and lying to me. I thought we were done with that... This isn't the Isle of the Lost, Evelyn."

"Yeah, believe me, I know that!" Evelyn finally snapped.

"Then why are you doing this?" Melanie asked Evelyn.

"Because..." Evelyn started, "I'm not one of those pretty, perfect, princess Mel. I'm a big fake, okay?" Evelyn sighed, "I'm fake. This is fake," Evelyn pointed at her hair, "This is fake," Evelyn pointed at the food before grabbing the spell book and opened a page, "Take this feast, this sumptuous meal, return it back to what is real," Evelyn read then waved her fingers, then all the delicious food turned into a single piece of peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk, "This is who I really am, Melanie."

Evelyn started to walk past Melanie, "Evelyn," Melanie tried to grab Evelyn's arm.

"No, no," Evelyn said as she walked away.

Melanie then took the peanut butter and jelly, "Peanut butter and Jelly is my favorite!" Melanie called out to Evelyn but Evelyn was long gone.

Melanie threw the sandwich on the plate, she sighed as she looked out onto the lake.

What is she gonna do now?