[14] A Relaxing Picnic

Like I expected, being a princess has been stressful but I've still been trying to enjoy myself. My new room is finally all decorated and I really like it. It's starting to feel like home. Rapunzel and Cassandrampc have been helping me get used to princess hood so it hasn't been all bad. My schedule has changed so I've been trying to get into the new order of things.

I get up and ready for the morning as the maids pick an outfit for me and help me get dress. Cassandra tells me the plans for the day as we get to breakfast. I go to meetings with the towns people, file and organize kingdom papers, help Cassandra with her chores, go with to royal meet and greets.

Depending on the day we could do more or less from the schedule, but that's usually how our days go by. I've tried to keep in touch with Varian but it's been hard to find time to write, let alone go and visit. I really want to but the days have been getting more and more busy. After what felt like forever, I was finally able to get a free day.

Just for a few hours, but I'll take it! I told Varian about it and we planed a nice picnic together. I was getting ready for it and trying to choose a good outfit. The other ladys-in-waiting help me and I immediately got dress. "You look lovely princess!" One said as I showed the dress. "Thank you! You two have the best taste in clothes." I say.

"Oh you're too kind princess (Y/n)!" She said bowing a bit before leaving. I then follow her out and head straight to the kitchen. I grab a basket and fill it up with sandwiches, desserts, and other delicious snacks. All of Varian's favorite of course. I grab the rest of my stuff and go out to the stables. I grab my house (H/n) and I ride off to Old Corona.

After some time I finally get there. I stop (H/n) and tie her to a tree safe in the shade. I walk a bit to Varian's house before standing there in front of the door. I knocked a bit before hearing foot steps come to the door. A quick open of the door happens in front of me as I soon meet Varian's eyes. "Hey Varian! You ready for the picnic?" I say holding up the basket.

He smiles then says. "Of course! Let me just get my saddle bag." He says grabbing his bag from the table near him. He then shuts the door and follows me to the fields. The fields are near the forest and has the prettiest view of the sky at any time. It's where Varian showed me the shooting stars, the night of our first sleepover.

It's looks a little different though since it's starting to get colder, so the leaves are turning brown. Its still very pretty and a great place for a picnic. I was excited to hang out with him again. It feels like it's been forever since our last time together. I look behind me and see Varian trying to catch up to me. I stop to let him come closer but as he did he quickly run past me. "Race you!" He shouted running faster away.

I quickly speed on after him. We run some more until we take a break by the beautiful field. We sit down and I start taking out the food. Varian helps as well and soon all the food had been placed. "This looks amazing (Y/n), you really know all my favorites." He says with a smile. "Thank you, glad to see I know you so well." I say ending with a smirk.

We sit there for a bit eating and talking, just like old times. It feels like it's been forever but I know it really hasn't. Things are starting to change and I've been having to get use to it. "Hey Var.." I say softly. He turns to me and looks concern. "Yea (N/n)?" He says. I look down before responding. "I'm sorry we haven't gotten to hang as much as we used to. I know it's not my fault that I'm busy but I can't help but feel guilty."

I say lifting my head back up and facing him. "What? Of course your going to busy! You're a princess now and trust me I don't blame you at all. I actually was feeling guilty too, I thought that I was being a bad friend for not coming to see you." He says ending the sentence nervously. I smile a bit at his words before saying. "Trust me Varian, you're a great friend. I couldn't be anymore grateful to have you as my friend. Even with all the amazing things to happen I've had this past year, your by far the best thing to come from it."

I say with a slight blush painting my cheeks. I meant what I said, he really has been the best part of this year. He was the first person I meant in Corona and has been my best friend. Through all of it his been there to help me. Ive been there for him too, we've been here for each other. "Heh, really (Y/n)? You mean that?" He says awkwardly, as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Of course!" I say getting slightly getting closer to his face. "I um yea you have." I say backing away from him realizing I was so close. "(Y/n).." he says not looking at me yet. "Yes?" I say awaiting his response. "You're the best thing that's happen to me. I mean that." He says finally looking at me.

My face heats up some more as the words really went through my head. "Varian I-" I try to say before seeing someone in the distance coming closer to us. "Princess (Y/n)!" Shouts a knight, one from the castle. I quickly stand up and run over to him. "Yes?" I say concern. "Your presence is needed at the castle, the king has requested you be there as soon as possible." he responds. I look back at Varian who gives me a sweet and understanding smile. My frown slowly turns to a grin before I say. "I understand, thank you for telling me. I'll be there as soon as I can."

He nods in response before rushing off. I walk over to Varian before saying. "I'm so sorry Varian, but I have to go and see what's happening." I say packing up my things. "Don't worry about it (Y/n) they need you. I have a alchemy experiment I need to work on anyways." He say reassuring me. I smile again encouraged by his words.

"Thank you so Var, I really appreciate it. I'll make it up to you soon trust me!" I say giving him a hug then running off. I wave to him as I leave. I make it to my horse and quickly run off to Corona. I was still wondering why the needed me there so urgent.