[16] Queen for a Day? Pt 2

After getting my journal, I grab my coat and bundle myself up. It was getting crazy cold out there. Since everyone had decided to evacuate anyways, I got my most important things and pack it together in my saddle. I couldn't forget (W/n), my pet weasel. I wrap her in a little cloth and I put her to rest in the inside of my coat pocket.

I make my way to the horse stables, and get my horse, (H/n). I cover her with a warm blanket then put her saddle over it. We run off to Old Corona, hoping I'd make it in time. We go as fast as we can in the snow, it was getting harder and harder to stay on the right track. After passing the terrible snow storm, we make it to Varian's house. I jump off (H/n) and I put her near the ally ways of the house. I grab (W/n) and put her in the saddle pockets.

I sprint in through the door, and then shut it quickly. "I'm here! Now, what's-" I shout, but then turn my view to see Varian by huge orange ember, with his dad encased in it."Oh, Varian." I say silently coming closer. My eyes soon fill with heavy tears, my throat begins to tighten. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I could here him quietly weeping, before he turns to me with tears in his eyes. I run over to him and hug him tightly, he doesn't move at first, but he soon grabs on to me, embracing my hug. "Don't worry Varian, we're going to save him, I know we will." I say softly, trying to help him. It was silent for who knows how long, before he let go of our hug. "Thank you, but I don't know if us alone can save him."

"Varian.." I start to say before pausing, thinking about how I want to say this."I have something I need to show you, something I haven't show anyone. I thought it didn't mean anything, but I have a feeling it could help us." I continue, grabbing my journal from my bag. I flip through the pages to find it, when I do I show him and start explaining.

"This page is filled with what I saw in a dream. It gave me a song that I've never heard about, one that sounded a lot like the healing incantation. Here are the lyrics, they might be able to help." I say pointing to the song lyrics I wrote. His face looked confused at first but then intrigued. "We already know that Rapunzel, and her hair, are connected with these rocks, she could help us!" I finished.

His expectations turn more hatful as I spoke. "I already tried asking for her help, and look at what happened!" He yells out, pointing to the ember. "I'm sorry (Y/n), she doesn't deserve a second chance from me. No of them do, they all turn their backs on me when I need them!" He says getting more aggressive with his words. "I...they need to pay for what they did to my father." He says, looking to have a revaluation.

He looks back at me and smiles, he runs up to me a grabs my hands. His action makes my heart jump in shock, unexacting such a gesture. "You can help me, (Y/n) you've always been there for me. When I needed you you were there." His says in a gentle manner, then taking a moment to pause. "I love you." His words make me melt. "I've always loved you, (Y/n). It's just now I couldn't help but tell you. You truly are absolutely wonderful."

"I- well um Varian, I do care about you so much. I just don't understand what you mean by saying you want hurt those people." I say as he gives me a look, he paused for a bit before responding. "They left me when I need them the most, I trusted all of them and they let me down! No one responsible for what happened to my father is going unpunished."

I was taken aback at his words, stepping around as he spoke. It felt like I was talking to a completely new person. This didn't seem like the Varian I knew, but I couldn't blame him. After what just happened I would probably be unlike myself too. With the feeling that everyone you've ever trusted, let you down.

"Varian I understand this is terrible, and I'm sorry no one else could help, but I can't betray my kingdom, my family. Not after all they've done for me, and what's happening now with the snowstorm" I say slowly dropping my head down as I spoke. "Please (Y/n)! You're the only one I can trust to help me, and I can't do this on my own." He says, grabbing my hands once more. It looked like he was about to cry out of anger, and sadness.

I couldn't look him in the eyes, I was so conflicted about what I should do. No way I could do that to my people, but I couldn't let my best friend, someone I've cared about this whole time, go through all of this alone. "I..." I start to mumble out as my eyes fill up with tears. "I cant help you, not now." I say slowly pulling myself away from his grasp.

"I'm not leaving you Varian, but I can't help you, not with this." I say looking at him but soon turning away, head towards the door. "If there's anything you need, I'll do it, but you can't ask me to hurt this kingdom. After all, I'm apart of it too, they're my family." I say softly starting to open the door. I look at him, with a stunned look on his face. He didn't look sad more, disappointed.

"I love you Varian, trust me in that. It's something I promise will never change." I say, still tears dripping on my cheeks, but with a smile on my face. I look at him straight in the eyes, hoping to catch his reaction. His face looked to be changing red, and his expression of disappointment, turn to a unexpected reaction."I trust you (Y/n), always have. Even if, for now, we aren't on the same side."

I smile at him, as he smiles back. This wasn't what I would have even expected a confession to take place. But it didn't change my feelings at all.