Chapter-5

Amara Knight

Sometimes there's this feeling of someone closer to you being taken away from you arises and you can't explain why. You fear being left alone. You fear being forgotten.

I felt the same as I watched Zoe dragging Ryan with her.

I couldn't take my eyes off of her hand around his arm. She walked too close beside him, almost bending herself on him. The sight before my eyes gave my heart an inexplicable tug.

I shouldn't have been feeling that way. They had been friends since grade school, also, their interactions never had me, or anyone questioning their relationship. They were strictly friends. Well, that's what they portrayed.

However, for the first time, I saw something unusual in Zoe's behavior. Could she have developed a liking for him? If she did, would she take Ryan away from...me? Did Ryan feel the same for her?

No, no, I was looking into it too much. They were just friends.

"They look so good together, don't they? Some day they'll make a cute couple."

Drew's remark felt like a baseball bat slammed right on my head, causing the cerebrum of my brain to short circuit. The apprehension that I never experienced before came to knock on my sense.

Did Drew notice that too? I wasn't the only one? Means they really were-? No! No! They were just friends!

"No, they won't. They are just friends." Instead of confidence, doubt could be suspected in my voice. I sighed. "C'mon, we gotta go."

We began to walk when out of nowhere, a girl with the speed of a bullet came running towards us, and before I could register what was happening, she kneed Drew in his balls. Ouch!

"Ow! Fuck!" He dropped to his knees, groaning.

The hallway boomed with the funny groans of the students that witnessed the attack.

Wincing, I raised my eyes to look at the girl who brutally trashed Drew's glories.

It was Becky Banks. She's a dusky skin-toned, curly-haired, beautiful, badass I was friends with. She was an unrestricted, wild bird who would jump from branch to branch without a care in the world.

She and Drew had an on-off relationship. They had strong feelings for each other, the funny thing being, that they knew about their feelings. Had confessed once, but something changed between them and they separated within six months of confession. Guess, they weren't ready. Now they were free to be with whoever they wanted, however, they never miss the chance to intervene and destroy their relationships with new partners.

"If you dare ruin my date ever again, I'll chop off your D and feed them to piranhas. Or better yet, will stick a live Piranha to your D to let it nibble you to death." She threatened him as she repeatedly jabbed her finger in his shoulder.

Compared to her, my threats were like a chicken that hadn't come out of the egg yet.

Drew was in pain and she appeared to have no intention to let him go anytime soon. The tension between the two was palpable, so I decided to break it.

"Hey, Becky." I tried to smile, but Drew's scrunched face and low groans kept me distracted. Becky took the intimidating gaze off of Drew and beamed at me.

"Oh, Amara, I missed you, my baddy." She lunged onto me and wrapped me in a bone-crushing hug.

I chuckled nervously as I pointed at Drew. "Yeah, I saw that."

Her hands went on the straps of her school bag as she rolled her eyes. "He deserves it."

"Uh, okayyy." I trailed off. "Anyway, you didn't attend any classes today, where have you been?" I questioned.