Chapter-30

Ryan Peterson

I had been dead worried for Amara.

At school, Zoe had fled upon seeing me and Amara too ran away without talking to me, that too in a bad mood, which confirmed that something terrible had happened between them. I had tried contacting Amara several times but all my efforts went in vain, forcing me to contact her mother to know about her, who in return questioned me about Amara's crying state, giving me the shock of a lifetime and leading me to think...

What could have Zoe said that made the Amara Knight cry?

This led me restless and I found myself climbing her window in the middle of the night like some thief to know whether she was okay.

But here I was, in her bathroom, locked up with her cartoon of a friend who had been abnormally grinning at me since the moment Amara shoved us in here, unbothered by the fact we could get caught.

"What's making you smile like some freak?" I questioned irritability in a whisper. We were standing by the bathroom door to clearly listen to the outside conversation.

His grin broadened. "Nothing. Just amazed by your current cliché situation. The girlfriend locked the boyfriend in the bathroom to hide him from her father but with a teeny tiny twist here; her best friend is locked up, too."

Shocked, I enquired in a baffled whisper, "Girlfriend? Boyfriend? Do you know about us? How long have you known? She specifically told me to keep it a secret and she blurted it out to you?"

Unbothered by my perplexed state, he shrugged and arrogantly mumbled,

"Well, a girl gotta talk about stuff with someone... and... fortunately, I am the only trustworthy guide she has ever had. Besides, believe it or not, I have known about the tension between the two of you for a long time now. You are two giant slowpokes. Amara didn't snitch on you; it was I who always poked Amara to bring out her actual feelings for you. If anything, you should thank me."

I was at a loss for words. What tension did he see in us which brought him to conclude about Amara and me even before we knew?

Unable to digest the information, I tiredly walked into the bathroom and slid down against the tiled wall near the bathtub.

Drew came and slid beside me and animatedly swiped his fingers on the edge of the shiny marble bathtub, mumbling in amazement, "Whoa, what a cool bathtub she has. If I had this masterpiece in my bathroom I'd ditch my bed and sleep in my bathtub for life."

I simply rolled my eyes, not wanting to respond to his meaningless talk in any way. I mean, who would want to sleep in a bathtub instead of a comfortable bed?

Drew seemed not to be able to cease his hands from examining Amara's things like her shampoo, body wash, and all the other tons of products she had, which annoyed me to the core. How did Amara tolerate his presence?

"Can't you keep your hands to yourself? Stop touching her things." I snapped at him in a low voice.

He scowled, "What else should I do then? You have been sitting quietly as if your tongue has been cut off fed to piranhas and I need something to get myself out of boredom."

I shook my head in disbelief. I should've known that correcting him would be a waste of my energy. He wouldn't listen anyway.

"You know you're a bad influence on Amara? Why can't the two of you keep yourself from playing pranks? May it be unintentionally, but you do harm others." I mumbled.

It shook him to bones as his eyes almost bulged out of the sockets.

"I? Bad fluence? Bro, I am the most vibrant influence anybody could ever have." He boasted himself with that infamous Drew smile.