Chapter- 20

Ryan Peterson

"Either I'm sleep deprived or I'm sleepwalking because I'm seeing things that I'm sure I would never see in the right state of mind. Just why am I seeing you carry Amara inside our house bridal style?"

Along with this comment, Tiana's first reaction was utter shock, as soon as I entered my home, carrying Amara in my arms. She was dead drunk, her neck hanging backward like a lifeless body and her hands dangling down.

"She's drunk and I couldn't bring myself to bring her to her place in this condition. Now, could you please help me sober her up?" I muttered as walked past her into one of the guest rooms.

"Whoa, okay. Let me google some instant hangover reducing remedies." Tiana rushed after me inside the room. "It says water helps with a hangover."

Wow, that was quick.

I deposited Amara on the bed and stood up, leaving her giggling to herself. At least she didn't throw up on me.

I faced my sister. "Yeah, okay but first help her change into some comfortable clothes of yours."

Nodding her head, she rushed out of the room and I took the opportunity to sit next to Amara, beside her head. I delicately brushed her hair strands that were masking her gorgeous facial features behind her ear, making her look into my eyes. All of a sudden, her smile faded, and her lips curled down into a frown as she mumbled,

“Thảmị khuṇ t̄hụng mī xarị bæb deīywkạn kạb c̄hạn kạb ṭhex mị̀ dị̂ thảmị khuṇ t̄hụng mị̀ h̄ĕn d̂wy kạb c̄hạn māk k̄hnād nī̂”

"Why can't you have the same thing with me that you have with her? Why do you disapprove of me so much?"

My lips curled up in amusement, then I laughed. She had learned Thai from her mother and only used the language when both, mother and daughter were mad at uncle Xavier. Knowing that he did not understand the language, they kept him on his toes. I too wasn't familiar with that language at all.

"What? What did you say?" I questioned amusingly.

She groaned, looking at me as if mocking me for not knowing the language.

"You didn't understand a word I said, did you?" She frowned, looking up at me.

I laughed at the cute pout she had formed with her lips. I bopped her nose. "How will I understand when you speak in a language I don't know?

"Well, that's your problem, not mine."

"How about speaking in the language I know?" I spoke calmly as though I was talking with a child.

She huffed and shifted away from what it seemed like in frustration. "You wouldn't understand anyway. You have never."

"Who said I never understood you?" I questioned almost immediately.

Glaring at me, she pointed a finger at herself. "Me."

"You are cute." I ruffled her hair, making her groan and throw her hands in the air in protest.

Just then, Tiana came in with clothes for Amara and I left the room to give them privacy and went to the kitchen to get some water for her. After ten minutes, I phoned Tiana and asked if I could come back in and when given the green signal, I went in, only to find Amara wearing a thin strap loose top and short shorts pajama set, leaning against the headboard of the bed.

I offered her water but she refused, saying, "I am not thirsty."

"Well, ma'am, this bottle of water is for your hangover; it has nothing to do with you being thirsty. Now, drink it. And before you throw tantrums let me tell you something very straight. I will not move an inch until you have downed this whole bottle down your throat. Also, if need be, I'll tie you up like a sack and make you drink it." I stated firmly, leaving no room for an argument, bringing the bottle near to her mouth.