Chapter-11

Amara Knight

Arranging a family dinner once a month was a must in our family. My parents and their friends had been best of friends for ages, they were closer than blood relatives. I had grown up seeing them share their good and bad days.

This time it was uncle Daniel and aunt Eloise's turn to host the dinner and I couldn't hold my excitement to see everyone together. The bubbles of excitement erupted from inside when I saw Uncle Dan and Aunt Eloise standing on their lawn, waiting for us.
As soon as the car stopped, I jumped out of it and ran to them.

"Uncle Dan!" He was as excited as I was and hugged me with the same intensity as I did.

"My Queen, I've missed you." He kissed my forehead before releasing me. He then grinned. "I heard about the prank you played at school, although it was too much, I approve of it."

We did a hi-five, then I hugged Aunt Eloise.
"Aww, my sweet doll."

By now my parents and my brother had come to us. They all shared hugs.

"Ah, my princess, it's been too long since I saw you." Uncle Daniel lovingly kissed mamma's forehead.

"Oh, c'mon, we met, like, a week ago." Mom giggled. Dad secretively and possessively pulled mom out of uncle's hold and glued her to himself.

"Ari, your brother is just being dramatic, nothing else." Dad laughed and we all joined him in it.

"Hey, you all...having fun without us?" A familiar voice from behind grabbed our attention and look at him, uncle Daniel's smile knew no bounds.

"Sean babe! Oh, how much I have missed you!" Uncle Daniel lunged onto uncle Sean, making uncle Sean groan in response.

"Ugh, we saw each other at work today, drama queen, and when will you stop calling me babe?" Uncle Sean pushed him away, then focused on Aunt Eloise. "Eloise, I salute you for taking vows to tolerate this joker for life."

Lauren and Mom stepped in for Uncle Daniel's rescue. "Hey, don't be rude to him."

Smirking, uncle Dan puffed his chest. "Thank you, my sisters, for always having my back. I don't understand why these two men are jealous of Eloi's and my relationship." He said as he pulled Aunt Eloise to himself.

"Okay, I feel left out." This comment came from  Tiana who had her arms crossed across her chest and had her face puffed with air.

My eyes caught the sight of Ryan, who stood beside his sister and had his intense gaze fixed on me. I quickly sensed his motive to have a conversation with me, perhaps confront me for avoiding him? However, wasn't he the one who wanted me to ignore him? Huh, Mr. two-faced Peterson!

Royally taking my gaze off him, I smiled at Tiana. "Hey, Tiana." I rushed to her and engulfed her in a hug. We both girls were crowned as the troublemakers of the family. And were pampered like crazy, of course, Doris, uncle Daniel's daughter, included.

Tiana excitedly gushed. "Oh, Amara, I have so much gossip to share with you."

"Really?" I grinned, my wide eyes. We squealed like little girls when some grumpy soul decided to interrupt us.

"Family gathering isn't about girly gossip. Grow up, both of you." Ryan commented as he walked past me, deliberately bumping his shoulder against mine.

"Where's Travis and Doris, Aunt Eloise?" He asked and I dramatically mimicked his question, rolling my eyes.

"Oh, my Dorito and Burrito, both are in the kitchen." Uncle Daniel replied.