Chapter -22

Amara Knight

Fingers curling—uncurling into a gentle fist, shifting with reluctance on feet; imploring, guilt-filled eyes peered at me. The nervous guy in front of me was someone I thought I knew. Maybe I was gullible enough to believe him when he stated he had never lied to me.

Not wanting to have any sort of conversation with him, I attempted to avoid looking in his direction and moved by him to avoid having to talk to him, but he immediately repositioned and came in front of me.

I kept my gaze away from him. "Tory, don't block my way. I have somewhere to be."

"No. Not until you listen to me." The pleading in his voice drew my gaze back at him.

"What's there to listen to?" I let out as I crossed my arms. I tilted my head a little. "Guess I have been living in the misconception of you telling me you do not drink and never will touch that thing."

"No. Don't say that. I never lied to you, I swear." He stated quickly before taking a pause, looking at me if I was interested in hearing him. "I— They talked me into drinking. I wouldn't have but I was feeling low and thought a beer won't do any harm. I don't know how I ended up dead drunk."

He lifted his hand, attempting to grasp my hand but I was quick to take a step back, leaving his hand dangling in the air. I did not want to repulse him but I was still mad at him.

He let out a sigh, then looked me in the eyes. "I'm sorry, Amara. Joshua filled me with what I did."

I let out a humorless chuckle. "Of course, someone had to remind you of what you did since you were so out of your senses."

I let out a huff taking in his remorseful self. "Though I don't want to, I am ready to believe—" I spread my hand with a shrug. "Whatever your reason was to get yourself drunk. But you threw yourself in the tankers of beer that you couldn't comprehend what you were doing to me."

I peered at him in disbelief. "You along with those bullies got me drunk. What for? Refusing to accept their offer to drink with them? No one must have reminded you of this but you know what you told me when I refused to drink the "fruit punch"?" I said, air quoting fruit punch.

"You told me I was ruining your image by not accepting their so-called friendly offer to drink. Do you have any clue what wrong could have happened? Tell me honestly, Tory, did you know the fruit punch was spiked?" I questioned.

His eyes turned wide. "What, no! I didn't know, I swear. And I'm sorry."

I averted my gaze from him, biting the inside of my cheek, debating whether to stand or walk away, but it would have been impolite given our friendship. He, however, caught me off guard and grasped my shoulders, coming closer to me.

"Please, Amara, please don't be mad at me and forgive me, please."

His plea to be forgiven trumped the slight anger I had inside of me and I almost accepted his apology for the sake of our friendship, only if I weren't distracted by Ryan calling for me.

______________________________________

Ryan Peterson

I'd just walked into the school and was looking for my pals when I noticed Tory standing far too close to Amara. Images of him drinking like a wild animal raced before my eyes as I remembered the night of the party. My jaw ticked in agitation. I had barely trusted him before, however, ignored his behavior, but not anymore. He had gone too far this time. Furthermore, Amara was now my girlfriend; he needed to stay away from her.

"Amara," I called for her, sauntering near to them. My voice made both of them turn their heads toward me, but Tory still hadn't dropped his hands from Amara's shoulders.