Chapter-26

Ryan Peterson

Our friends, who had been waiting for us in the cafeteria looked at us entering closely together with their calculative gaze as if they witnessed something unacceptable.

Amara parted from me to sit with her pals, while I walked up to mine, and sat down between Zoe and Owen, who had vacated the space for me by shifting to the other side. Initially, I hesitated before sitting right next to Zoe, but I couldn't practically stop being with her, so I gave in, however, I kept a notable distance from her.

"You have been hanging out with Amara a lot these days. What's up with you, genius boy?"

Illiana's comment had me shooting a warning glare at her, reminding her not to bring up what she saw the other night, but she skilfully reverted it with her wicked, teasing smile. Austin, who was seated next to her, grinned proudly at his girlfriend's comment on me.

I heard Zoe laugh next to me. "Short meetings here and there after class in school aren't considered as hanging out, Illiana. Be more realistic."

"I ain't talking about school, Zoe," Illiana replied, with her teasing gaze still on me. What was she playing at?

"Wh—What, Not school? Then where?" I did not look at Zoe when she questioned me.

"We saw them together at Koi fish park last night," Austin exclaimed, making me press my forehead with my fingers to dissolve the now-establishing headache because of their talk.

As if these love birds weren't enough, Owen too jumped into the silly conversation. "I too have been noticing them spending time together. Ryan's even playing agent to dissolve issues between Amara and me." 

"Wow, you really are getting along with her, aren't you?" Zoe's surprised tone made me sigh. "Both of you always argued for the tiniest things. I wonder what changed all of a sudden."

That's it. I had had enough and decided to put a stop to their curiosity.

I cleared my throat before answering sternly, with finality in my voice.
"Amara and I have decided to move past our silly arguments and be...more civil. We can't possibly go on with conflicts for life, so we have decided to get to know each other."

Illiana and Austin grinned, while Zoe appeared shocked.

"Wow, Great," Zoe mumbled, then she slowly forced herself onto her feet. "Uh, I had to discuss some algebra problems with our math teacher. I'll get going. See you in class."

"I'll go with you, too." Owen stood up and marched out of the cafeteria with Zoe.

"What's with the tension between you and Zoe? We have been noticing it for quite some time now." Illiana questioned.

Sighing, I leaned on the table. "She wanted something from me that I couldn't offer to her," I mumbled, more like to myself. "It has certainly strained our friendship, I believe."

"Oh, poor Zoe." I heard Illiana mumble, making me wonder if she heard what I had said. Of course, she did. Girls hear everything unnecessary with fine detail except what they must, don't they?

"But she has got to understand and accept the fact that there can be nothing from your side. You belong to someone else; Amara, to be exact." She continued.

My eyes widened as I heard her comment. How did this girl formulate the meaning behind my words? Just what magical powers do girls have?

I chose not to utter a word and also not to look at them since they had this unique ability to read me.

"So, you two are finally a couple, huh?" Illiana teased, her smile knew no bounds.

I didn't want to make any statement since Amara wasn't ready to disclose, but I knew for a fact that they knew Amara and I was in a relationship. They had been shipping us in themselves for a long time now.