Chapter 6

Currently I stand in the square of District 12 with the rest of the citizens being roped off from the center of it.

The reaping.

Ever since it was announced the air had been tense between Cato and I. We both know that this time we both won't be getting out of these games.

When he moved in with me he decided to become a legal citizen of 12 so now he'll be apart of our reaping. Now, he's standing on the other side of the square next to Haymitch.

You can tell that the rest of the district is scared for us but they know they rather see us go into the games instead of one of their children.

I look over and make eye contact with Cato. 'I love you' he mouths towards me and I mouth it back. Then, everything went quiet and the only thing you could hear was the sound of High heels clicking against the stage.

Effie.

I haven't seen her since the Victory Tour. She doesn't look as enthusiastic as she does every other year, she almost looks...sad.

"Welcome to the reaping of the 75th Hunger Games," she says and the smile on her face is obviously fake. We go on and watch the same video we do every year on how the games came to be.

"Ladies first," she says and slowly walks over to the girls bowl. She sticks her hand in it and moves it around even though there's only one piece of paper in there. She pulls it out and walks back to the microphone.

"Katniss Everdeen," she reads out with just the slightest bit of pain in her voice. I take a deep breath and walk up to the stage while accompanied by peacekeepers. I get up there and stand up on the right side of the stage.

"And now for the boys," Effie says and walks over to the glass bowl that contains two slips of paper.

She reaches her hand in and pulls out a slip before walking over to the microphone.

"Haymitch Abernathy," she says.

"I volunteer," Cato's voice rings out in the silent crowd. He had already told me that if he wasn't chosen he'd volunteer.

He walks up to the stage and stands on the left side before walking over to me and shaking my hand.

"These are the tributes for the 75th Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor.

With that the peacekeepers lead Cato and I into the Justice Building.