Chapter 14

The training that they make us do is rigorous. Currently they have us taking laps around the training field. It's not an actually field but and indoor facility that we're using for training.

I'm not exactly in the best shape of my life so it's hard for me to keep up. I can tell Cato is running slower then he can to keep up with me. Finnick on the other hand is running the fastest he can go, no doubt trying to show off to Annie who they've let sit on the sidelines for our practices.

After we've run, they let us do training with our respective weapons. It's amazing seeing these people in their elements.

I see Johanna gracefully throwing her axe around. Twisting it around her body, low and high arches that don't come close to hitting her body. Then she releases it so it goes flying and lands right in the center of the target set up.

Then there is Finnick and his trident. The way he flips it around his hands before landing and into the dummies hearts. You can tell he feels at home with it. Not as much as when he's with Annie, but a close second.

Finally there is the beauty that I can call mine. Cato. You can see the ferocity in his strikes on the dummy. The way he rips them apart with a long piece of metal. His lunges are beautiful, breathtaking. Since his wound is in the arm he doesn't use, he's still able to use his sword. After a lot of begging from him, they told him for things like that or running he can participate, but for everything else he had to take it easy.

Now I can see what other people see in me when I use my bow, a sense of completeness. As if the weapon were just another limb.

I can also see Gale tinkering with some materials in the corner. No doubt that he's trying to build a snare. He had always preferred those over weapons. I look over at Cato one more time before making my way over to Gale.

I silently sit next to him, no words needed, until he finally speaks up.

"Does he make you happy," he doesn't even look up to ask me this question. He just continues to play around with the materials in his hands.

I think about his question. Happy would be and understatement. What Cato makes me feel is and indescribable feeling of completeness, something I know Gale couldn't give me if we were together. He's a great best friend but I could never picture him as anything more.

But I just decide to keep my answer simple, "Yeah, he does."

He finally decides to look up at me and offers me a small smile, "good." He then goes onto explain what he has been working on. The snare is small because of what he's using, but I can tell that the one he's picturing is bigger and more elaborate. I continue to smile and speak when the opportunity is given.

I missed this, me and my best friend Gale. I'll have to make sure I spend more time with him from now on.

The day of training winds down with small breaks for things like lunch in between. Before I know it, it's time to head back to our rooms. I know that I'll be staying in the same area as Prim and my mom with Cato being a few bunks over.

"See you later Catnip," Gale tells me. I open my mouth ready to reply, but then I decide to surprise us both.

I run up and wrap my arms around his neck. It surprises him but eventually he wraps his arm around my waste. "See you later Gale."

We release each other and he smiles at me before walking away. I turn my head to Cato and grab his hand, "let's go."

A/N: I'd just like to make it clear that this is fanfiction so the events that happen in the book might not happen hear. This includes certain character deaths *wink wink, nudge nudge.* I just don't want to deal with the sadness over again, that's what Mockingjay Part 2 is for.